A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Are Mufflers required

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Mufflers required

Audi Allroad 2000, 2.7t. As far as my exhaust system, so far I've uprated to high flow exhaust manifolds, 3" downpipes (all Zircotec coated), with the front cats removed. Both fuel efficiency and performance have increased. My question is this. I'm now thinking of uprating the rear section of the exhaust system and I"m wondering does the car require 2 mufflers, one on each side, or can I get away with a 3" straight through system. (I'm wanting to continue in 3" due to future plans for upgrades).
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not a certified mechanic but I think mechanically you would be fine to do so but you will probably hear the turbo's whine if you do this may not sound great. I was thinking of upgrading the exhaust on mine and I looked at some videos on YouTube even with some of the performance exhaust you could hear it. The magnaflow one's you could hear it but it wasn't really loud also I like the sound of them better than some of the others. I know that with no mufflers you will have increased flow but there will be little to no back pressure I think that it will have a poping sound (backfiring) when you let off the accelerator. IMO that a popping exhaust doesn't sound good.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by solidjon
Audi Allroad 2000, 2.7t. As far as my exhaust system, so far I've uprated to high flow exhaust manifolds, 3" downpipes (all Zircotec coated), with the front cats removed. Both fuel efficiency and performance have increased. My question is this. I'm now thinking of uprating the rear section of the exhaust system and I"m wondering does the car require 2 mufflers, one on each side, or can I get away with a 3" straight through system. (I'm wanting to continue in 3" due to future plans for upgrades).
Are mufflers required.
As far as noise level laws and dry areas for spark arresting around here yes, around your neck of the woods I don't know so the first thing you should do is make sure of the legal stuff is in order before further time and money is spent.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your responses, the sound levels in the UK (now Europe wide) for an exhaust is 74 dB, this was brought about in 1996. I've listened to a straight through system on youtube, and I can see what you mean by the resonance/sound of the turbo's spooling, it is a bit loud, so I may go down the resonator route.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps a new engine with external combustion (similar to ramjet) might solve all our muffler issues!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you get rid of the resonators you will save some weight, but as far as noise goes, not so much. On mine, after I had them removed, I actually looked under the car to check to make sure the guy didn't just take my money, since I could not hear a difference. Since it's a turbo car, backpressure is not an issue. So if you are interested in a loud car, you could do what I did with my old Audi racer, the muffler was connected with a flange. Rally time and it was off , back on street duty, three screws and it was quiet again
Old 04-22-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't want to start a fire but, please help me understand something...

Why/how is it attractive to have a loud car? Same with motorcycles as well.... but in motorcycles, I can see it being justified (to a very little extent) that since they can't be seen easily, sound will make other drivers aware of them riding in next lane etc.

A loud car, I am inclined to think it would be rather annoying to people to hear (disturbing their mental stasis and all...).

Please share your thoughts.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mufflers and cats rob power, so for competition purposes where every horse counts, every pound saved counts, removing the mufflers helps. For a long drive, vacation or something, of course it would be more than annoying. Also make for some hostile neighbors. But in general sports cars are associated with noise. Look at the complaints when Formula 1 went from the screaming engines to the boring no sound turbo motors. And, finally, some engines sound so good you don't need a stereo system any longer take for instance the Audi 5cyl turbo of the 80s; muffled it sounds like any other car, take the cat and muffler out and it becomes Walter Rohrl's monster rally car.