A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

My Audi key-fob went through the spin cycle AND permanent press dry cycle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Audi key-fob went through the spin cycle AND permanent press dry cycle.

I thought I'd share this story with all of you. Its not that much exciting but it's positive. Almost every one of us come to this forum to talk about problems with our cars, so think of this as seeing positive story on the nightly news....

I forgot that my key(fob) was in my jeans pocket and my jeans had a hot date steamy date with Ms. Whirlpool.

The key went through a full wash cycle AND a full high-heat perm. press cycle. Naturally, I thought the key was toast and that was that. I called the stealership and got quoted a measly $200(+ $50 for programming) for a single replacement key. Peanuts I tell you! Everyone should be able to chuck about $300 toward a car key, shame on you if you can't. You darn 99%ers !!!

Not being one to give up easy, I broke apart the FOB and saw rust coating everywhere -- ughhh not looking good. I took some steel wool and lightly buffed off the rust on any/all of the electrical battery contacts and blew a lot of compressed air in the fob and around the circuit board and took some rubbing alcohol with q-tips and thoroughly wiped down the circuit board of al rust coatings.

Went to radio shack and picked up two Energizer CR-1620 batteries. Popped them on, closed the FOB and crossed my fingers..

pushed button.... nothing.

Then remembered....

I need manually unlock/lock the doors once with the key to re-program the FOB

pushed button... BINGO!

Long story short, these little FOB's are solid and can take a lot of beatings.... always clean/change the batteries before you shell out to the stealership!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Good for you. Always nice to hear a good story.