A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRedHead
Thanks for the input

I apologize for asking a bunch of questions. I currently am working 3 Jobs and have no time for anything.

I'm a recognized contributor on other forums(non-audi related) and know better to be using the search feature

I'll just keep quiet if thats the case, a Mod can kill this thread if they wish
no worries. FYI there's a recent thread updated on secondary air pump rebuild
Old 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't speaking as much to you, I also am semi-serious, that i shoulda known better to use the search system. But I have little time and even now I'm on my lunch break for 30 minutes writing this message.

I also have to go pickup an Audi C5 A6 (4.2L) With what i assume is a shot T/C. I didn't want someone to write a book but maybe links or even a good start like the advice from @johnkk
Old 04-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for posting again but I just realized there was the above mention. Thanks, I'll look into it, first going to do an output test on the motor and see if it spins

the "diverter valve" i mention is something someone else called it, it's the valve that electrically controls which cat to push air into. not the turbo diverter "recirculation" valves
Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Which cat controlled by valve makes no sense at all. No cat selection. Time for a manual perhaps.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

On the coolant leak, you may want to check before going in there. The plastic T-stat housings can crack, especially if not (ahem) handled properly. There's a little ledge under the housing where you can see the drip with an inspection mirror. Of course, the hose coming off the housing could be loose or bad at the housing end also.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

this valve that someone explained to me appears to be vacuum driven and simultaneous, Again went by someone elses explanation which is why I'm here in the first place.

thanks for the input on the coolant leak, I currently had to move my 2.7t back into the lot as i got a 4.2 A6 as well with a blow T/C and i need to fix that first. So It'll be a few days before I have a chance to get the 2.7t back into the service positon and inspect all of that, I'm still working on preparing for the timing belt and also getting other parts i need like the headlights(damage to driver headlight auto leveling mechanism, the plastic arm snapped off, passenger is faded)

I recall some ford having the plastic t-stat housing crack and there were aftermarket aluminum housings to fix that issue, is there such an option for the 2.7t?

I notice the coolant pouring out of right under the crankshaft pulley, which makes it stream down the front and drip off the oil pan, it leaks fast enough that i can lose half a gallon of water in less than 2 hours of just sitting without the engine running

Regarding the secondary air injection, i first need to verify that the fan spins, the intake isn't clogged, and that the diagrams open(meaning the solenoid also has to work)?

I'm very busy so thanks for all your help. Being a 20yr old Female in the automotive industry is difficult. And thats just 2 of my 3 jobs
Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
Do you have the repair manual? Replacing water pump involves moving the front-end to service position. It's all detailed in the manual. At that point, it makes sense to do the timing belt and replace rollers etc., as per maintenance schedule.

There are few that offer "kits". Blauparts.com, Ecstuning.com and others... Make sure to rent the required tools to lock cams and crankshaft etc.

When I said you started off with full tank of gas, I meant your loaded first post It's all good.
In my humble opinion, the service position still makes a belt change a PITA. Remove the bumper, front end "stuff" and you'll have a much better experience. Replace everything you can, because this isn't a job you want to do over. Thermostat housing is a common source of leaks. Also, the belt tensioner for the serpentine accessory belt is a common point of failure. I've read that the Volkswagen thermostat housing is better, since it is aluminum instead of plastic. Lots of videos on Youtube to help you. I have a leaking T-stat housing myself....just building up the courage to do a belt replacement again. Rental tool kit is a must! Again, Youtube is a great resource.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah....the auto leveling system stinks! Mine went all the way down and right so I could see nothing! I just disconnected mine, adjusted the headlights and the few folks who "flash" me when I hit a bump can just deal with it.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

a coolant leak was the first issue I had with my 2.7... ended up being a bad thermostat housing.