A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Fuel Sender Recall :-( (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuel Sender Recall :-( (long)

I just got home from the office and there in the mailbox was a "Motor Vehicle Recall Notification" from AoA. The subject? Why, our (not so)beloved fuel sending units. There were a couple of posts last week on the subject (I think Richard S. was one). Now, unfortunately, we have confirmation.

Here is the bulk of the text from the AoA letter:

"Last June we wrote to inform you that the fuel sending units mounted inside the fuel tank of your Audi A6 Quattro could malfunction because of contamination by sulfur in the fuel. We understand that you have had the recall repairs performed.

"Audi has since discovered after an additional in-depth investigation that the process used to remove sulfur from fuel for environmental reasons, if improperly performed, could leave elemental sulfur residue of a highly reactive nature in the fuel.

"To guard against the risk presented by fuel containing sulfur, Audi has upgraded the composition of the alloy in the sending units once again. The alloy is now composed of gold, silver, and a small amount of nickel. This new alloy does not react to sulfur in whatever form it may appear in the fuel.

"We regret that we have to ask you once again to seek an appointment with your Audi dealer and arrange to have the necessary work done. All necessary parts will be available at your Audi dealer on or after June 1, 2001.

"If convenient, we ask that you take your Audi to the dealer immediately prior to the time that you would normally refuel. Service proceedures require that the tank be emptied by the technician when the service is performed. After the service is completed, your dealer will provide you with a full tank of fuel at no charge.

"Please write to us at Audi of America, Inc., Attn: Client Relations - 3B01, 3800 Hamlin Road, Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2855, if you have incurred out of pocket expenses related to a malfunction of the fuel level sending units, such as costs of towing, emergency road service, rental car or other incidental expenses, and we would be pleased to review your request that we reimburse you for any such expenses. Please include any receipts you have."

So, there we have it. It appears to me that AoA is trying to place the blame for this on fuel refiners, not on their parts suppliers or their very own specifications. Any other thoughts out there?

JB
Old 05-21-2001, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know if they are "blaming", just sounds like factual statements...

and what they needed to do to ultimately fix the problem. Sounds fairly up front to me. If there is sulphur in the fuel and it reacts negatively with the fuel sender, than that's what it is, I don't think they were trying to deceive anyone with their initial fix. Certainly a hassle for those it affects, but that is what warranties and recalls are for. Again, maybe I'm too naive and trust what I'm told, but if someone screws something up and is up front, I have no problem with it, usually.
Old 05-21-2001, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may well be right - ....

it could simply be that I'm a little bummed out over this new recall. It certainly does appear that they have isolated the problem to traces of sulfur in the fuel. Guess I'll call the dealer in the morning.

jb
Old 05-21-2001, 05:44 PM

Default Re: You may well be right - ....

I was lucky today. I had the fuel sensors replaced about 6 months ago based on symptoms (no recall notice) and today I waited an extra 45 minutes for what I thought was a standard 20K mile service. Turns out they performed the sensor replacement. Peculiar but at least I didn't have to make a new appointment. Never got a recall notice.

I heard this was a result of a class action lawsuit, though.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Elder Member

Default I have to say I am very happy about this

Not about taking my car in again. I don't want to do that.

But It has been clear the recall didn't work and because of that I have been somewhat on edge about whether I would have problems in the future. I didn't want to have to say when I sold the car "Well, Audi claims to have fixed the problem, but we all know it didn't take."

Bravo Audi for not stopping halfway and actually fixing the problem the whole way. Yes, it's inconvenient, but I'll just have to take her in one more time.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:55 AM

Default I had to make my appointment early

My senders went last week. I didn't get the letter yet but I had no choice. My dealer just shook his head a bit and mumbled something about another recall and made the appointment.
Old 05-22-2001, 08:00 AM

Default Re: New Fuel Sender Recall :-( (long)

Which vehicles are effected. The first recall was for A6 cars up to a certain production date. Seems like the new recall would effect more cars up to some production date in 2001? Anyone have any informaion on cars effected?
Old 05-22-2001, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no information in the letter I recieved that indicates....

which vehicles are affected. The letter is addressed impersonally (Dear Audi Owner) and references "your Audi A6 Quattro" in the text. FWIW, I have '00 2.7T with Tip.

JB