A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Newbie needs help - Codes and oil pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help - Codes and oil pressure warning

Hello all,
I have a 2003 Audi A6. There are several issues all going on at the same time and I don't know if they are related. I also live in a rural area and my local mechanic wants me to to the audi dealership to get this checked out. I would LOVE to have an idea of what I'm asking for them to do before I get there. Any help is most welcome.

I have been losing a bit of oil over the past 3 months. I have to top it up a quart or so between oil changes.

I've had a CE light on for a while which my mechanic was not concerned about. I finally bought a code reader so I could try to figure it out myself.

The codes coming up are:
P0300
P0304
P0441
P1116

AND now, I've been getting the oil pressure light and alarm. My mechanic changed the oil and filter and checked the pressure. However, the light is still coming on. He thinks it's OK to drive but wants me to go to the dealer.

I would LOVE to know if any of these are related and what I should ask the dealer to look at. And possibly if there is any of this I can check on myself at home.
It's a lot to ask - thanks to anyone who can help out.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Emissions related for the most part. The 0300 is random misfire, 0304 indicates misfire cylinder #4 (bad plugs, bad coil packs, etc). The o441 code is fuel evaporation filter related, again emissions problem. These could all be as simple as replacing vacuum lines or replacing secondary air pump. Code 1116 indicates heating element on O2 sensor. Start simple as none seem to be critical issues. Pull plugs and evaluate; start by inspecting and replacing vacuum lines as needed as this is a common problem; if plugs look bad change them and see if codes go away. You can get your answers to codes by using Google. Doesn't give a cure but will tell you what they are.

P.S. If your mechanic isn't versed in Audi (doesn't sound like he is by his comments) find one that is. Audi's are like no other cars and improper repairs will destroy one in short order or put you financially under water quickly.

Last edited by Harleyguy; 11-29-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree with Harleyguy, taking your car to a generalist can be as expensive as going to the dealer. Neither will likely be satisfying. The dealer, if they are willing to work on it, which many will not due to age, may cost a fortune as they usually want to replace many parts that are aged. Depending on where you live you may find a dealer who will have someone who will help you nurse a 15 year old Audi. Most just don’t want to take on old cars. A generalist will be costly as they have to learn on your car. Best to find an independent Audi repair shop. Preferably one that works on C5 Audi’s regularly. Most larger towns have several. I just moved from a large town with a great Indy to a small town and am sweating about finding a knowledgeable Indy. I have accepted it is likely time to get a simpler car.