A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

no power to the fuel pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power to the fuel pump fuse

HI guys i have a 2001 audi a6 2.7T. i got the car and drove it right from the auction and it was great. after a few weeks of great driving. i come out, right after i get home from work and the car just would not start. would crank but would never start. i got the crank sensor changed and the fuel pump relay to. now i checked if i was getting power to the relay and i do. but im not getting power to the fuel pump fuse. whats going on i been working on the car longer then i been driving it. help me plzzz
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the check engine light on when you turn the key on?

I assume you've checked all the easily accessible fuses, however the ecu has a seperate fuse inside the ecu box in the wiper cowl (remove the rain tray, there is a plastic box next to the brake booster on the drivers side). Look for water intrusion, and check the fuse under the ecu. It's a very large maxi fuse.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the check engine light is on. i checked the big fuse in the ecu box and it gets power on the 1 side but the 2 side shows nothing.
i also checked the five bolts that are connected right under the relay strip starting from left to right. 75x witch would be the first bolt with two black and yellow wires, 2nd would be 30 with two red wires, 3rd would be another 30 with two red wires, and 4th would be one more 30 but with 5 red wires, and last is 87f/diesel with one green and red wire and one just green wire. now i can use the 87f as a ground to check the three 30s but when i try to use the 75x as a ground i get a little power but that's it.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Heres the diagram:
no power to the fuel pump fuse-cot8ilc.png

On these cars the most common issue is that the Fuel Pump relay itself just burns the contacts out, and stops working.

To test:
Check red wire on relay for constant power, if its there, make sure relay clicks when you turn ignition on. If it clicks, and if GRN/RED and GRN wire don't have power, change the relay. If anything else is out of these bounds, please post.

Heres the relay positioning:

Name:  lo7uhor.png
Views: 3449
Size:  34.2 KB
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i checked red wire on relay for constant power and its there. relay clicks when i turn ignition on as well. the grn/red and the grn wires both have power when i turn the key to but still no power at the fuel pump fuse in the fuse box
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wizkhalif
i checked red wire on relay for constant power and its there. relay clicks when i turn ignition on as well. the grn/red and the grn wires both have power when i turn the key to but still no power at the fuel pump fuse in the fuse box
that means you have a break in the wire between the fuse and the relay. reference the wiring diagram above
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

somebody told me to jump the fuel pump wires or something like that. what did he mean and how do you do it?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok guys im getting power to my fuel pump fuse now when i turn the key. i checked the power at the fuel pump and i only get 8.0-9.0 V is that good or bad. and is there a way to connect a new power wire to the pump just to see if the pump will come on? what ever you guy think help.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok guys im getting power to my fuel pump fuse now when i turn the key.
What did you do that changed the original condition?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok guys im getting power to my fuel pump fuse now when i turn the key. i checked the power at the fuel pump and i only get 8.0-9.0 V is that good or bad. and is there a way to connect a new power wire to the pump just to see if the pump will come on? what ever you guy think help.
Bad. Check voltage coming out of relay again. If it's 9V, and the power going in is higher, then replace the relay.

Quick Reply: no power to the fuel pump fuse