A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

O K A Y...I'm peeved....Bent two more rims and blew out another tire yesterday..Boston @#%%#$

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O K A Y...I'm peeved....Bent two more rims and blew out another tire yesterday..Boston @#%%#$

For those of you who remember, about 1.5 years ago, I fixed four bent rims and blew out some tires in Boston. Had the rims repaired and a brand new set of tires. A few days later,...bang, destroyed them totally. So I had to get a new set and swapped tires again. Including my experience in my A4. That was 8 bent rims repaired two sets of tires and then a brand new set of rims.

Yesterday it happened again. I was going pretty slow and hit a pothole which heavily bottomed out the car.....going slow enough to stop the rears from going in at speed.

Yeap blown tire and two bent front rims.

So my total in four years in Boston is 10 bent rims, two new sets of rims three blown tires and now three completely new sets of tires plus any number of realignments when these things occur...sometimes twice in a roll.

I've stayed away from 18" rims because of the potential for regular damage. I've stuck with 17" and 235/45/17 so I' not too aggressive. I've purchased OZ because not of the look but the reputation for a tougher rim...the next set will be forged if I have to...

Boston roads really really really do suck. I don't understand why people have not raised sheer hell on this issue. They are everywhere. When I as changing the tire out, another person walked by me and told me he jsut hit another one somewhere and it knocked his hubcap off, destroying it...when he went to pick it up, he found 7 other hub caps in the same place......

Maybe its time to look for new work elsewhere and where the roads aren't so mercilessily ignored.

Then again.......it's a lovely day outside....and I'm still at work.....work is good.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Mike
Old 11-06-2001, 05:19 PM
mpm

Default That's the understatement of the day, so much for pothole politics...

Looks like the only place our tax dollars go is to payoff weak MassPort officals!

The roads are one reason why I don't totally regret getting the S6. My dear bride has an uncanny nack of finding every bad road surface in Boston - which you know are many. Makes me want to say, "Uh honey would you mind turning around - I think you missed that one..."

I've rubbed a couple of curbs. Where did you get your wheels redone? Did they resurface the wheels and paint them or do a whole strip job?
Old 11-06-2001, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hit a HUGE pothole on 93 going through Boston and bent my Ronal LZ...

Had it fixed at Rim & Wheel Works in Newton for $110.00, but the fix left a small mark on the lip of the rim. They said that I would have to repair the whole lip if I couldn't live with the mark..that would cost approx. another $150.

Putting the stock 'winter' rims/tires on soon..so my 17" LZ's will sit warmly in the basement for the winter. Maybe see you on the road in Boston.

Cole
Old 11-06-2001, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What pressure are you running in your tires?

Audi says something in the low 40s PSI for 17" rims and as high as 50 psi for 18". That's pretty hard for most people but I am almost sure the reason is to stop tire and wheel damage. You might want to consider a wheel with spun rims, preferably 3 piece assembled with bolts rather than welded. If you bend a rim you can replace just the rim and not the whole wheel. I have some Compomotive wheels of this type and I know that BBS and others also make these. Also the spun rims tend to be a bit more flexable than cast or forged so they can bend and return to their original shape.

Check your tire pressures first though.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm running 35lbs. I had asked about that and they said 40's for track use..I should find out again
Old 11-07-2001, 09:40 AM

Default You should file a claim for reimbursement with the city

The trick will be finding the right department. You might try the DA's office to start. It's not unheard of to get money in these situations. NYC has a whole dept. that deals with claims from sidewalk falls.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Claim against the local town within 30 days...

MA law allows you to claim damages on public roads against the responsible town/city. You need to deliver a damage report and receipts within 30 days to the correct town hall department (atty, DPW, etc. - varies by town). You should be 100% compensated. If they refuse, go to Small Claims. Get photos of pothole & your damaged parts.

It's a fairly easy process to do, unless the town refuses to pay.

See MGL's at http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/index.htm. The particular law is in chapter 89 or 90 I think.

Jim