A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

OEM HID/Xenon upgrade content (long) and research website

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM HID/Xenon upgrade content (long) and research website

I know this is not the A4 forum but you seem to know Audi lighting better then most. I am having the lazy eye issue with my OEM xenon. I believe it is the range control module but I am also being told it may be a ballast issue. Both lights work but just point about 15feet infront on the ground. I have a 2001 A4 2.8. Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased two Hella headlamps model 4B39410035S to replace my halogens on my 2000 A6 2.8. I wanted to just do an easy swap with D2S bulbs to eliminate all the conversion confusion however buying these items on eBay they came with H1 size projectors and ballasts that look like they may have come from an "hid kit" !! The assemblies are brand new and beautiful, however it looks like someone may have taken the d2s part of the projector off and swapped it with the H1.

Where can I buy 60 mm D2S projectors for these new headlight assemblies?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already posted a reply to one of your identical posts, hit the junk yard or call up audis4parts.com
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know that there is a post / thread somewhere about this. But just thought I would ask if you knew how to do a xenon conversion in an allroad assembly? My allroad came with halogens. Basically, are they same parts (ballasts, projectors, etc) as the pre-facelift, excluding the 4-wire motors?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuattro
I know that there is a post / thread somewhere about this. But just thought I would ask if you knew how to do a xenon conversion in an allroad assembly? My allroad came with halogens. Basically, are they same parts (ballasts, projectors, etc) as the pre-facelift, excluding the 4-wire motors?
The Allroad is essentially an A6 Avant on steroids. Almost all parts are interchangeable between C5 models. The one thing that's different about Allroad headlights is that they are not chrome colored inside - they are gray. Also, the style is a bit different. Otherwise they bolt up just fine (pre-facelift of course).

You would need wheel sensors (2), ballasts, headlights with self-leveling motors, wiring harness, and probably VCDS for coding. At the same time, I don't know how far you have to go with wiring (that may include the fuse box).
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

What are wheel sensors used for?

The allroad I just purchased has halogen bulbs not xenon and I want to do the conversion. I am wondering if I can just put on new projectors (from pre-facelift c5 - salvage yard parts) into my current housings on the allroad?

Everything else should basically be the same because there are leveling motors in there now. I know I will need ballasts and new back cover.

Do I also need range control module for something?

Last edited by LakeTahoeQuattro; 09-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuattro
What are wheel sensors used for?

The allroad I just purchased has halogen bulbs not xenon and I want to do the conversion. I am wondering if I can just put on new projectors (from pre-facelift c5 - salvage yard parts) into my current housings on the allroad?

Everything else should basically be the same because there are leveling motors in there now. I know I will need ballasts and new back cover.

Do I also need range control module for something?
Wheel sensors are for headlight leveling. You'll also need the module.

It's not that simple. May as well buy an aftermarket HID conversion kit (ballasts, bulbs and wiring), and just reuse your existing headlights. Make sure to aim them right.