AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Oil change saga at quick lube place.... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/oil-change-saga-quick-lube-place-1673055/)

CEB 06-25-2003 06:25 AM

Oil change saga at quick lube place....

... a guy at work just purchased a '02 A6 and took it to a quick lube place (name brand that we all know and love). This guy is new to Audis, so cut him some slack.

A mutual friend directed him to me yesterday because "I am the Audi guy".....

Well., to make a long story long, here is what transpired on Monday.

He took the car to this place for his first 3k oil change. About 10 minutes later they come out to him with their little piece of cardboard with the little drops of oil on it. They suggest that he gets his tranny oil changed (28k on the car - I know, I know....), the diff fluid changed and flush and fill radiator "cause the coolant looks funny." The bill is about $180 and he drives out of there about 40 minutes later.

He came to me because he wanted to know why Audi built a car where the "lower cladding had to modified to change the oil." --- the place told him as he was paying that they did their usual Audi mod on his car to allow them to change the oil.

In summary, here is what they did:

1. drilled a hole in his belly pan
2. magically sucked the oil out of his tranny and replaced it with fresh fluid in about 30 minutes - all without removing the belly pan (perhaps they drilled a hole in the tranny to place a dipstick???)- changed the filter too....
3. flushed radiator and filled with a nice green liquid

Liquid samples were taken (except the tranny fluid of course) and I advised flatbedding the car to a dealer to see what damage was done.

The new owner? He's a fraud investigator.....

Kgnast-Nemo4.2 06-25-2003 06:38 AM

Its just so pointless, especially when the car is within its warranty, to take it anywhere....

other then the dealership. I hope his car is not foobared.

Sounds like the Lube place is going to get in some trouble.

ZCD2.7T 06-25-2003 06:40 AM

Unbelievable! (or not, since I, too, used to frequent those places).

Potomac-Greg 06-25-2003 06:47 AM

The ugly underbelly of rampant capitalizm and the profit motive.

AndyA6 06-25-2003 06:48 AM

Oh Noooooo! The "green liquid" will eat away the alu-internals of the engine!!....more

I've seen it, no kidding, only use G2 in our engines, flatbed is not overdone in this case.

Wish your buddy good luck.....

Egil A64.2s - S6 06-25-2003 06:54 AM

?

2.7tDallas 06-25-2003 06:56 AM

Kind of like my ex-wife's divorce attorney

DWC_2.7T 06-25-2003 07:49 AM

For now, he's on his own

This is how chronic problem cars are created. He can't get any relief until something fails and the lube joint's action can be proven to be the cause. Hope he got a receipt detailing all they did, and has a sympathetic insurance company.

ryoung 06-25-2003 08:10 AM

Perhaps the ugly underbelly of rampant incompetence is more accurate.

chairman 06-25-2003 08:22 AM

Did he void his warranty? The fluids are not "Audi issue"??

These places *should* know better.