A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The Old Transmission Fluid Debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It would be interesting to get his take on removing the valve body and cleaning the solenoid screens as well as the one screen inside the valve body.
I would only do that if the pan was crappy with debris…apparently the filter doesn't for those.

And PS…virtually all driving is 'severe service' these days.
I would guess that given removing the valve body is not routine maintenance under any conditions, they would not be recommending it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

here is link to valve body thread/discussion. You're right, removing the valve body isn't considered maintenance; but if my pan looks like this one…it's coming off!!!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=nialist
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What ZF says that if there is excess metal particles, metal pieces or burnt fluid, the transmission must be rebuilt or replaced, and a fluid change should not be done.

I would guess that the transmission in the other thread is what ZF would consider a candidate for rebuild.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
What ZF says that if there is excess metal particles, metal pieces or burnt fluid, the transmission must be rebuilt or replaced, and a fluid change should not be done.

I would guess that the transmission in the other thread is what ZF would consider a candidate for rebuild.
That is what the guy in the other thread was told but he went and pulled/cleaned the valve body anyway. I suspect in 5-10K miles he might want to redo his fluid/filter change if not the valve body clean because there is often a great deal of debris in the torque converter shell from the lockup clutch as well as the debris circulated in the trans itself.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The MB transmissions mostly have TC drain plugs also, so the non-flush drain gets more fluid.

Honda recommends a 3X or 4X change for getting a full flush. (like when the wrong fluid is used)

No one seems to be recommending power flushes except AAMCO!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
The MB transmissions mostly have TC drain plugs also, so the non-flush drain gets more fluid.

Honda recommends a 3X or 4X change for getting a full flush. (like when the wrong fluid is used)

No one seems to be recommending power flushes except AAMCO!
The only way I would get anything from AAMCO is if I had a lifetime warranty with them (ZF authorized? I wonder…) and the power flush was part of the recommended maintenance schedule. On their heads would be any bad effects from the power flush!

Shirley, I jest. I just would never go to AAMCO with a German car.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-17-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 3 Audis that I maintain. The first is a 2001 A6 that my mom owns, that I started maintaining at about 100,000. The second is my gf's 2001 A4, which we bought with 95,000 miles on it. The third is my 2004 A6, which I bought with 93,000 miles on it. I changed the transmissin fluid on all 3 of these cars, for the first time, right around 100,000 miles. Since then, I change the fluid every 50-75K. I drop the pan, change the filter and use Amsoil fluid.

Most of the time, the fluid is still very red, clean and there is minimal metal on the magnets and in the pan. I wouldn't hesitate to go 100,000 on the Amsoil if I needed to.

Having said that, not changing fluid will NEVER give you any benefit. The 01 A6 now has 180,000 miles on it, the 01 A4 has 160,000 and my car has 270,000 on it. I've never had a transmission issue (I REALLY hope I'm not jinxing myself). I'd say changing at 100,000 miles and then every 50-75K after that is reliable maintenance.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The "Changing your fluid late is worse than not changing it at all" old-wives(mechanics)-tale is dying hard.

I am not a real AmsOil fan, so I am going with ZF brand fluid.

Last edited by N_Jay; 07-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well put. As far as i can tell, Audi dealerships will only address tranny issues and service these if you are warranty guy, or have codes stating you have issues developing. I also researched the stance ZF engineers took on such claims of "lifetime" fluid. 30-50k fluid and filter changes are their standard practice. The valve body thing is up to you, but don't flush the fluid as you will create more issues than you can imagine. That hydraulic oil is also acting as a detergent and is designed to pick up impurities and sediments to be carried to the filter and magnets. At least this is what we accomplish with a turboprop hydraulic oil servicing schedule. When we have flushed them in the past as Hamilton engineers request, the new fluid will attack seals and create bigger problems in a matter of minutes.

What you are trying to do is dilute the fluid that is stored in the transmission and torque converter, which depending on your transmission, can be up to 9 litres total. Most kits come with 4 litres, i had to use 6 + spillage, for a total of 7 litres to get the correct overflow at correct temp range when servicing. But i punctured my pan at 60mph and the 20 seconds between impact and pulling to shoulder ran a bit of fluid out i reckon. Follow the rules (no RTV, level vehicle, temps, torque) when servicing and be sure to torque your pan correctly, in steps. Since my fluid change, smooth shifting and no issues (knocks on faux wood patio tabletop) Even put a BMW 335 to shame yesterday on the road nearing the highway and thought man, that shifted fast from 3rd to 4th!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got he fluid changed, and can definitely feel the transmission is smoother with more consistent shifts.

Quick Reply: The Old Transmission Fluid Debate