Opinions needed - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed

Reply

 
 
Old 04-26-2014, 03:48 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: N. Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13
Default Opinions needed

Hello all, new on here but have had a 1996 A4 and loved it. I resonantly bought a 2004 A6 Sline and it feels like there is little power and bad MPG (to me) driving city/highway miles with 11.242 gal gave me 16.88MPG. I've read on here and other forums about the EGT giving lower boost (limp mode) and having bad MPG. I have no CEL light like described like others said. There isn't any rotten egg smell so I assume the cats are good. Can anyone please give me their thoughts.
mario_orsini5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 PM
  #2
Tech Guru
 
4Driver4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 33,608
Default

Originally Posted by mario_orsini5 View Post
Hello all, new on here but have had a 1996 A4 and loved it. I resonantly bought a 2004 A6 Sline and it feels like there is little power and bad MPG (to me) driving city/highway miles with 11.242 gal gave me 16.88MPG. I've read on here and other forums about the EGT giving lower boost (limp mode) and having bad MPG. I have no CEL light like described like others said. There isn't any rotten egg smell so I assume the cats are good. Can anyone please give me their thoughts.
Codes?
4Driver4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:20 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: N. Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13
Default

I haven't been to a garage to see yet. I ended up ordering used EGTs from a place down in Tucson for $185.00 for both shipped. Even if I change them out do I still need to have codes cleared for it to work right?
mario_orsini5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:21 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213
Default

is it an automatic?
I cant remember if the sline has the 2.7t or not. I think it does but i had a 2.7t with an auto trans and mine did the sale thing. I tried new plugs and that helped a little but other than that all i can think is you might have one or a few coil packs that are on their way out. I have had that problem too. Mine was the 5 cylinder, the T connector from the coolant tank was dripping on the coil pack.
redbullgotwings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 PM
  #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213
Default

it will run better but the correct way would be to clear the codes after you replace the egt. Do you know what your codes are? Also have fun with those EGT valves. Have you looked at their placement? They are a pain in the *** to get on and off. The bolts are nearly impossible to get in and out. And if you do get them out you are going to drop one and never find it.
redbullgotwings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 AM
  #6
Tech Guru
 
4Driver4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 33,608
Default

So the plan is to throw parts (used parts at that) at the car and hope it fixes the problem? Good luck. Why not pick up a cheap code reader instead of flailing about based on Internet guesses. The information is right there. Go get it.
4Driver4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 AM
  #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213
Default

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 View Post
So the plan is to throw parts (used parts at that) at the car and hope it fixes the problem? Good luck. Why not pick up a cheap code reader instead of flailing about based on Internet guesses. The information is right there. Go get it.
LISTEN TO THE GURU!
redbullgotwings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 AM
  #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: N. Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings View Post
is it an automatic?
I cant remember if the sline has the 2.7t or not. I think it does but i had a 2.7t with an auto trans and mine did the sale thing. I tried new plugs and that helped a little but other than that all i can think is you might have one or a few coil packs that are on their way out. I have had that problem too. Mine was the 5 cylinder, the T connector from the coolant tank was dripping on the coil pack.
Yes its a auto. I've read somewhere there was a recall about 2.7L coil packs. Ill have to call the dealer tomorrow.

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings View Post
it will run better but the correct way would be to clear the codes after you replace the egt. Do you know what your codes are? Also have fun with those EGT valves. Have you looked at their placement? They are a pain in the *** to get on and off. The bolts are nearly impossible to get in and out. And if you do get them out you are going to drop one and never find it.
Yes the passenger side looks not so bad after I would pull the breather box. It's the drivers side that I dreading, but I do have nice tool collection over the past few years working on the last A4.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 View Post
So the plan is to throw parts (used parts at that) at the car and hope it fixes the problem? Good luck. Why not pick up a cheap code reader instead of flailing about based on Internet guesses. The information is right there. Go get it.
Well as you put it that way. Yea I see your point taking a shot in the dark is kinda crazy. I just want it fixed so I guess I went into a desperation move reading other peoples threads.
mario_orsini5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
  #9
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213
Default

ya the 2.7t did have a coil pack recall but that recall came out fairly soon after the car was released. 95% of the time the original owner had it replaced by the dealer (from what i have seen, ive owned about 5 of these). Go ahead and just have it read at advanced auto parts or auto zone whoever does it for free. Also of people think you need VagCom to read the codes but a regular OBD-2 reader will read the codes. Im not sure it will clear them though
redbullgotwings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM
  #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: N. Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13
Default

I want to buy the VAG-COM or Ross Tech tool, but I've seen this cheap code reader not sure if it will read non CEL light codes? Please can you tell me if so I'll order it today.

Rules Rules
mario_orsini5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
phoneboy6
S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
15
09-08-2015 06:27 PM
phoneboy6
A7
4
09-06-2015 05:12 PM
rammstien80
2.7T V6 Discussion
0
09-04-2015 04:26 AM
jigaro
A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
10
09-02-2015 05:42 AM
zhaoweitian
A7
2
09-01-2015 03:15 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:39 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: