AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   To our non-US friends- do you experience the simultaneous brake/throttle boost hesitation? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/our-non-us-friends-do-you-experience-simultaneous-brake-throttle-boost-hesitation-1671732/)

allroad'Ed now 05-22-2003 06:36 AM

To our non-US friends- do you experience the simultaneous brake/throttle boost hesitation?

I'm referring to the situation where, when pulling away from a stop, if you did not release the brake pedal quickly enough before depressing the accelerator, you end up with little boost and consequently poor acceleration.

Just wondering if this is US specific as punishment for the ridiculous Unintended Acceleration lawsuits of years ago? We certainly got shift locks on all vehicles as a result of that debacle. And if it is US specific, wonder if there is a simple VAG-Com mod we can perform to override this unsafe condition.

Bob W. 05-22-2003 06:40 AM

i think the drive-by-wire setup is to blame....

...won't allow simultaneous brake and throttle application (at least it doesn't on the TT, not sure about other DBW Audi models).

jc 05-22-2003 06:56 AM

It will allow it, BUT....

When you apply the brakes it retards the timing, thus reducing the power created by the engine.

J

rally 05-22-2003 10:06 AM

I was wondering the exact same thing this morning!

Stoney 05-22-2003 10:12 AM

After putting Tip into gear, if you press gas quickly, accel is very slow...

You have to wait almost a second, otherwise it feels like it is bogged down.

case allroad 05-22-2003 11:39 AM

Re: To our non-US friends- do you experience the simultaneous brake/throttle boost hesitation?

So is this the same for a 6-spd? I do notice pretty poor off the line performance when I have to apply the brakes befrore taking off on a slight uphill. I guess better use the parking brake to fix this?

beerguy 05-22-2003 12:11 PM

Foot off brake, foot on gas, release clutch, go like hell.

:-)

allroad'Ed now 05-22-2003 01:25 PM

There is apparently a link between the brake pedal being depressed...

and the ECM either retarding timing or boost.

Brake pedal has two switches on it and I don't know if one of them controls the ECM boost. Either that or one controls the brake lights and the other controls the disengagement of the cruise control, with the ECM boost control tied to one of those.

If it is in the ECM coding, maybe we can defeat it. i'd like to see if a Euro version does the same thing or not

CanAm Eight 05-22-2003 01:49 PM

Lag

Yes, that's the case on my S6, if you ride the break waiting for the moment to accelerate, it takes a second or two [seems forever with approaching traffic] for normal throttle response.

Irritating, but the dealer tells me it's safer that way.

Richard Solomon 05-22-2003 02:55 PM

Since the Euro 2.7T training doc which pops up every so often refers to it, I'd say YES