A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

outputshaft(driveshaft) bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outputshaft(driveshaft) bolt removal

Hey, guys, how do I get access to the top two bolts of driveshaft? One other post that I read states that by leaving Emergency Brake off will allow me to spin driveshaft freely. I already tried it but didnt worked.

I have car front raised on jackstands, but my rear wheels are on ramps, could this be the reason why driveshaft its not moving? All wheels must be raised using jackstands?

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 06-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Yes, the rear wheels must be able to turn in order for the drive shaft to turn.

It would also help if the transmission were in neutral.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Yes, the rear wheels must be able to turn in order for the drive shaft to turn.

It would also help if the transmission were in neutral.
cool, I managed to take those two bolts off. Thank you. Also when freeing the driveshaft from flange is it a good approach to remove the two bolts from carrier bracket to drop only the front part of driveshaft?will it require alignment after unbolting it from carrier?

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 06-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alex2.7T
cool, I managed to take those two bolts off. Thank you. Also when freeing the driveshaft from flange is it a good approach to remove the two bolts from carrier bracket to drop only the front part of driveshaft?will it require alignment after unbolting it from carrier?
Yes, in order to remove the driveshaft you will need to remove the bracket from the chassis. When you reinstall it, it will need to be perfectly aligned in order to minimize vibration. Audi has a special tool for aligning, but I used a laser pointer to align it with no apparent problems...
Old 06-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so now, Im on my final step of removing the driveshaft flange, so I can replace my leaking seal, my flange has a 40 torx bolt in the middle, whenever I try to break it loose flange keeps turning with it as well, is that supposed to happen and eventually come off,or it needs to be held with something, need some advise please. This project is getting somewhat frustrating.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay so now, Im on my final step of removing the driveshaft flange, so I can replace my leaking seal, my flange has a 40 torx bolt in the middle, whenever I try to break it loose flange keeps turning with it as well, is that supposed to happen and eventually come off,or it needs to be held with something, need some advise please. This project is getting somewhat frustrating.
Install a couple of bolts into adjacent bolt holes in the flange and then use a large screwdriver or small pry bar inserted between the two bolts to countehold the flange from turning. This works for both loosening and tightening the center bolt.

(To be honest, you can also use a screwdriver long enough to jam it agains the case of the transmission. I have found the metal in the output flanges to be especially resistant to damaging the bolt hole threads.)
Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay, so when regreasing these parts, is it better to add grase to both , driveshaft and flange? Can the new grease be mixed with the old one?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay, so when regreasing these parts, is it better to add grase to both , driveshaft and flange? Can the new grease be mixed with the old one?
No need to add too much grease. Leave some volume for expansion due to heat, otherwise it will leak out and create a mess.

Not a good idea to mix different greases. If the driveshaft looks like it has enough (it usually does), leave it alone and don't add any grease. The driveshaft is not under the types of stresses that halfshafts endure.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Yes, in order to remove the driveshaft you will need to remove the bracket from the chassis.
If you are just changing the tailshaft seal, this is not necessary at all. Do not do this. Those bracket bolts are adjustable, and there is a special tool needed to align the shaft for proper re installation. You may get lucky, but you may introduce a vibration. Leave the bolts in place.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I removed the flange I didn't payed attention the way I took it appart from differential, it was turning as I was loosening the bolt that was on the middle of it. I made previous marks with white out to differential and flange and driveshaft, so I just reinstalled the flange to my judgement and matched its marks that I made with those of the differential. Is it a big deal the way how you install it? Or it only matters how driveshaft aligns to differential.

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 06-17-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: outputshaft(driveshaft) bolt removal