A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

outputshaft(driveshaft) bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have this Cv joint grease, that I bought at Autozone, will it work for this this specific application?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex2.7T
When I removed the flange I didn't payed attention the way I took it appart from differential, it was turning as I was loosening the bolt that was on the middle of it. I made previous marks with white out to differential and flange and driveshaft, so I just reinstalled the flange to my judgement and matched its marks that I made with those of the differential. Is it a big deal the way how you install it? Or it only matters how driveshaft aligns to differential.
No. After you reinstall the flange, rotate it to make sure that it turns without wobble.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I also have this Cv joint grease, that I bought at Autozone, will it work for this this specific application?
While it might work, I would just leave the old grease alone. If you wanted grease that is definitely compatible, head to the VW or Audi dealer and pick up a tube.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
While it might work, I would just leave the old grease alone
I wish I would seen this last night, but already have cleaned flange from grease last night to have reinstalled to differential and have it ready for today for new grease. I ran to autozone again today for more options

Both valvoline cans say they work in european cars and look like the valvoline synthetic durablend looks is the most suitable for this car. But I would go for the Mobil One synthetic, it was twice more expensive than other two which made me think its high quality grease, but it doesn't states it works in cv joints while the valvoline does and has more temperature range.
what I didn't cleaned is the driveshaft, it still has old grease, should I clean it too and replace it with this new grease or leave it like that?

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 06-17-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No need to add too much grease. Leave some volume for expansion due to heat, otherwise it will leak out and create a mess.
Is this the right amount of grease to add at flange?

If its packed like this, and I also clean the old grease from driveshaft. will this be enough to lube the driveshaft when I reinstall it . Or its recommended to also have driveshaft greased at reinstallation?
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Is this the right amount of grease to add at flange?
The right amount of grease to add to the flange is none. Grease the joint. Flange should be clean.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you wanted grease that is definitely compatible, head to the VW or Audi dealer and pick up a tube.
I think youre right, I can't really decide what grease to use, should have waited before wiping and cleaning my flange from old grease, I think I might be heading to dealer and get the oem cv grease as you said. Never tought a grease decision debate would stop me from doing this project for a full day.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

cool, I managed to take those two bolts off. Thank you. Also when freeing the driveshaft from flange is it a good approach to remove the two bolts from carrier bracket to drop only the front part of driveshaft?will it require alignment after unbolting it from carrier?

can damage be caused by leaving driveshaft loose from carrier for a extended period of time for about 1 1/2 day, just like the second picure? Can it be supported from the middle with a aluminum wheel to keep it straight as possible so that it wont bend too much and damage the u-joint or the joint to rear differential.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

can damage be caused by leaving driveshaft loose from carrier for a extended period of time for about 1 1/2 day, just like the second picure? Can it be supported from the middle with a aluminum wheel to keep it straight as possible so that it wont bend too much and damage the u-joint or the joint to rear differential.
should be no problem... just don't bang on it or hit it with a heavy hammer...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Which is the right oem grease to use on driveshaft?

I went to an audi dealer and they got me a VW Grease for triple roller joint part # G-052-186-A3,

,but I was expecting I was going to get the the High Melting Point Grease for CV joints part # G-052-133-A3,

I believe I have to use the second one or do either one will work the same?

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 06-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: outputshaft(driveshaft) bolt removal