A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

PAG oil quantity

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcman
....But I would not leave the system in a vac for too long because the weakest link is the shaft seal that is designed more for positive pressure and any loss is moist air entering right into your new oil, add some freon and vac it again beore you weight in your final charge.
Hmm ok if I leave it under vacuum it will be almost 24 hours before I can do anything with it - is that too long? Would I be better off putting some refrigerant in it tonight, just a static charge to create some positive pressure, then vac it again tomorrow?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by divil
Hmm ok if I leave it under vacuum it will be almost 24 hours before I can do anything with it - is that too long? Would I be better off putting some refrigerant in it tonight, just a static charge to create some positive pressure, then vac it again tomorrow?
I would.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2, i never agreed with the whole leave it overnight BS, if you can hold a vac for 30 min at the full 30 your fine. i suck it down, let it sit, suck it down again, let it sit, and suck it down a third time. i go 15 vac, 30 wait. total time under vac is about 2 and a half hours.

filling it with refrigerant and doing the same thing is fine im just not comfortable discharging it into the atmosphere unless i absolutely have to
Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And just to add

In the good old days of R-12 and mineral oil accectable moisture limits were under 250 parts per million, POE and PAG are under 40 parts per million regardless of the type freon.

So you've got to ask yourself the big question "Do you feel lucky today"
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, well I put a little refrigerant in there just so I wouldn't have to leave it under vacuum. Tomorrow I'll finish it off. I can't tell you how relieved I was when I saw it holding the vacuum...I feel like I've been working on this forever
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default it's not looking good...

So I finished evacuation and started my charge. After I got about 7 ounces or so in, the high side gauge started ramping up, and it doesn't stop. I have put about 9 ounces total in so far, but I switched off the AC because the high side would not stop going up. I let it get up above 300 psi and it showed no signs of stopping, so I have stopped charging for now. The low side was hanging at around 30. When I switch it off, they both settle at around 80.

So what is the deal...does this indicate a blockage somewhere on the high side? I was able to flush through literally everything so I know nothing is completely blocked. It was blowing cold from the vents when I had it on, but the high side just kept ramping up. Where do I go from here?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the compressor doing? is it engaging? the compressor will shut off if the high side is too high, but it sounds like blockage or compressor issue.

im sorry man, i just did my fiances honda and two compressors later (under warrenty thank god) and a new condenser and i had her abck on the road
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Freon moves fast and system trash will find it's place

Originally Posted by divil
So I finished evacuation and started my charge. After I got about 7 ounces or so in, the high side gauge started ramping up, and it doesn't stop. I have put about 9 ounces total in so far, but I switched off the AC because the high side would not stop going up. I let it get up above 300 psi and it showed no signs of stopping, so I have stopped charging for now. The low side was hanging at around 30. When I switch it off, they both settle at around 80.

So what is the deal...does this indicate a blockage somewhere on the high side? I was able to flush through literally everything so I know nothing is completely blocked. It was blowing cold from the vents when I had it on, but the high side just kept ramping up. Where do I go from here?
Are both radiator fans running?

Not sure one your model year, I think 02 up have electric fans vs the direct thermo clutch fan and separate electrics fan.

If both fans are running you defiantly have a restriction at a 9oz charge at that head pressure, the inlet orifice may be in the wrong way or the screen is slammed with crap, I put the most emphasis on this because it is the last pressure drop point in the system.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

what is the compressor doing? is it engaging?
Yep it's engaging.

Are both radiator fans running?

Not sure one your model year, I think 02 up have electric fans vs the direct thermo clutch fan and separate electrics fan.

If both fans are running you defiantly have a restriction at a 9oz charge at that head pressure, the inlet orifice may be in the wrong way or the screen is slammed with crap, I put the most emphasis on this because it is the last pressure drop point in the system.
Not sure about the fans. Mine is a 1998. There's the belt driven fan which runs all the time, then I think there is just 1 radiator fan, and I am not sure if it was running. I will have to check that again.

There was definitely no blockage in the short pipe that has the orifice tube in it - I flushed that while I had it in my hand. I put a new OT in there and pushed it down to where the old one was, with the arrow pointing towards the evaporator. It did feel kind of harder to put in than the old one was but I checked it and it was identical to the old one in every way, same diameter and everything.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh and I forgot to add: the high side gauge needle flutters as it goes up - don't know if that matters but it looked strange.

Quick Reply: PAG oil quantity