A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

new member looking for small upgrades 2004 a6 2.7 s-line

Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member looking for small upgrades 2004 a6 2.7 s-line

i posted this in the 2.7 forum but didnt get a hit....
hi guys. im new to the site and this is my first post. i have a 2004 a6 2.7t s-line and love it. just curious in regards to the air filter. would putting in a k&n air filter help at all? or even a cold air intake? just looking at small upgrades to do. i will be doing the clear corner mod soon. thanks guys i appreciate any input. i have had audi's in the past as well and currently i do have a great audi mechanic.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

K&N fosters debates. They provide a very small benefit. If properly lubricated they work fine. however, they are very sensitive: too little oil and they wont filter properly; too much and they will foul the MAF.

I advise against it - significant risk for little gain. YMMV.

I think they effectively have a cold air intake, plus you'd be ramming it into an inter-cooler anyway. meh. Enjoy it.

A chip can have dramatic impacts on turbo cars, so long as you understand the added stress it introduces - heat, force, etc.

Grant
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you for the input.
i will probably lean against it then, i dont want to bother messing anything up. the chip is something to think about maybe down the road.
im going to do the clear corner headlight mod soon. i also have an issue with my rear suspension im going to look into as i hear squeaks every time i hit a bump!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Before you go tearing into that suspension and spraying lube all over everything like a Vivid video producer preparing the set, you should fold down those rear seats and try and use solid film lube on the clasping mechanism that locks the seat in the upright position. There are several threads on here to lead you in the direction of eliminating squeaks. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing you can do is a good tune to your car. Just be careful who you choose. You probably have an ecu ending in 551AA. If so, be very cautious and do your homework before shipping it off to be tuned. The ecu's can be disabled by a checksum issue very easily.

Other than that, get VCDS. It's a must-have for anyone who is serious about their audi. It will tell you things that a dealer would charge hundreds if not thousand or more to tell you.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NO to K&N filters PERIOD. Blew my MAF sensor with that POS! So, NO.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the input.....so try this even though if i stand outside my car and push down on the trunk im hearing the squeaking under the car?
Originally Posted by Nialist
Before you go tearing into that suspension and spraying lube all over everything like a Vivid video producer preparing the set, you should fold down those rear seats and try and use solid film lube on the clasping mechanism that locks the seat in the upright position. There are several threads on here to lead you in the direction of eliminating squeaks. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

and if it is the rear suspension that needs replacing is it best to go with oem or go aftermarket? with the s-line the oem is suppose to be more of a sport suspension so im not sure which would be the better way to go in that regards. thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those squeaks could be from any number of things. Try getting as close as possible to where your sway bar bushings are and listen there. They are greased but that stuff is probably very old and not even in the neighborhood anymore. As far as aftermarket suspension systems, ecs tuning has a few options for you on their website. I think everyone I've talked to really likes the PSS9's. Spendy, but they are the cat's pajamas me boy!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 to that. Too finicky for minimal gains IMHO. Like a high maintenance girlfriend, i fired that thing to the curb with the rest of the trash. Just not worth the hassle of getting filter oiled just right, with the possibility of nightmarish weird problems resulting from MAF readings gone bats^#$ crazy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new member looking for small upgrades 2004 a6 2.7 s-line