A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Problem with the flasher of a 2000 Audi A6 2.7 T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the flasher of a 2000 Audi A6 2.7 T Quattro

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7 T. ( Quattro )

My Car's Turn signals don't blink. All the lights are okay. They do light up but they don't blink. They stay on.

Initially the turn signals started to blink very fast and after some time they worked fine. But now they have stopped blinking at all. They just remain stable.

However when I switch on the Hazard light all the side lights blink normally . Can you please suggest me something.

If the flahser is bad. Can anyone send me the instructions how to replace the flasher and where exactly is it located. I can purchase the flasher from the Audi Dealer shop. The critical part for me is to locate the flahser and the steps needed to reach it.

Thank You very much for your help.

Regards
Kumar
Old 05-17-2004, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You have the same problem as I do: a crap relay.

I haven't checked in to getting a new one yet, but it shouldn't be expensive at all. Also, it's easy enough to yank it out. It's behind the hazard switch, in fact it's attached to it. In fact, it's the hazard relay. In fact.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: You have the same problem as I do: a crap relay.

Atgmartin,

Thank You, for the response. Isn't it true that in Audi they have 2 flashers , one for hazard and other for turn signals?

My hazard is working fine. Do you mean to say that the flasher for hazard and turn signal are both behind the hazard or is it only one flasher for both hazard and turn signals? Can you tell me how to reach the flasher behind the hazard. The hazard switch is on top of Bose Music System. Do I need to open the Bose Music System?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The relay controls both flasher and hazard, I think.

Try this: Turn on the flasher. If it's solid (not blinking) turn on the hazard. It should still stay solid while the other blinks properly. Same on the other side. It's weird, I know, but I'm pretty sure switching the relay will fix it. You have to pull off the trim around the hazard, then with a knife or something, pry the relay out. Put a rag or something between the knife and the relay so you don't scratch or break anything. I would probably disconnect a fuse too. Anyway, I want to fix mine soon, so I'll let you know if I have more details.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Turn flasher and emergency flasher are integrated--how to do it

From having pulled it apart, it is a single device with two different magnetic coils in the same overall case. I was able to bend the contacts slightly to make it work as new.

To get it out you first need to remove the trim surrounding the emergency flasher triangle button. The trim pulls out directly toward you and is held on by six or eight clips--the kind like little jaws that grab a plastic tongue of the part that mates. They are near each corner and more are toward the center both upper and lower. You don't remove any other trim or the radio. The dealer replaced mine under warranty already and I found two of the clips broken away from the trim piece but repairable with epoxy--breaking one or two seems like not the end of the world--it's tightly in there and mine didn't ever rattle or look off after the earlier dealer repair. You may well need to pry (gently) with a small bladed screwdriver to get it out.

After that, you need to get the flasher unit out. More prying with a screwdriver (or two)around the sides. It is held in with pressure clips built into the switch unit. If you pull out the card holder or switch hole covers (if you have one or more accessories there) to the left, it may give you a little visibility of what's back there.

As you pull out the switch, be careful with the wiring plug--there is very little extra slack and you don't want it falling into the dash recesses.

In general, another set of hands from a buddy could help. I did it with no help; total time was about 45 min; I pushed the trim back on after the exoxy on the clips set hard the next day. If you aren't comfortable with car wiring plugs, taking a screwdriver to a finish trim part, opening up a small plastic case that uses plastic notches to hold together, and fooling with small low power electromechanical items, don't try it and bring it to a shop.

Once you get it unplugged and out, if you look at the case you can probably see how to pry it open with a screwdriver--a fine bladed one or one of the larger watch repair type screwdrivers. The case slides open and exposes the inards. Nothing is loose (or better not be), so you don't need to worry about parts flying out. Once you open it, you will see the contacts and the electromagnets. If you plug it into the harness, you can tell which one is the turn signal and which is the flasher. You should also test it before reassembling everything too, since my guess is it's about 25% chance something will break each time it's pulled out--whether you do it or the dealer. I don't think there are any secret special dealer tools here either. In my case, I had the rapid flashing turn signal problem. Since the hazard lights worked at normal speed, I was pretty sure it wasn't the bulbs or sockets, and didn't think it was the switch stalk either since it did it in either left or right turn switching. The fix was simply to bend the contacts slightly so they met face on and were a little closer to each other at rest.

Worst case, if you can't fix it you just buy what you would have had to buy at the dealer anyway. Given the posts I've seen, I bet it's an in stock dealer part--lots seem to fail. It's definitely not a parts store standard 3 prong flasher. Cost, I bet not cheap with it all integrated together. My rule of thumb with Audi and other cars for anything proprietary is take at least the number of electrical contacts times about $20 per contact to guess the dealer retail price-this is a six or eight contact case as I recall.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm about to replace my second one at 47K.

Which is fine, 'cause I never liked the frequency of the second one. Too rapid.

Dealer installation will run me about $80.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have the part#?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are you saying that this is a $720 - $1280 job!?

Maybe I misunderstood. I pulled the relay out very easily myself, and found that a new one should be 'Plug 'n Play.' The relay itself is probably $20-$30. But aside from your math, that was a great write-up, definitely tech section worthy. (Stoney?)
Old 05-18-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Do you have the part#?

I called Audi Dealership and they gave me this part number for flasher.

4BO941509G

The price is $35.

Is this what I need to replace. Is this a plug in device and easy to change?

Does it fit behind the triagle hazard switch and do I need to take the cover of the hazard switch off? I looked at it and I could't find any gap where I can put the screw driver in. It also has the cup holder and in it.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Did it recently.

Hazard switch is relay itself. Replacement is straight forward except for removing that cover. There's a special Audi tool but I've used a plastic palette-knife, still broke one of the tabs. Taking then out the cup holder/ESP button/empty buttons makes removal/disconnecting of the relay easier.

Quick Reply: Problem with the flasher of a 2000 Audi A6 2.7 T Quattro