A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Problems with my A6 car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my A6 car

Before I list the problems of my car, promise you won't get pissed at me and run me off,

Ok, I am the owner of a 1999 Audi A6 2.8l 30 valve V6 car with no quattro and over 80,000 miles on it. yeah I know it is not a very exciting car.

Anyways, one week ago I left the lights on after I got out of the car and did not see that fact. After one day, I found out about the lights. It was at nighttime. So I tried to jumpstart the car. First I attached the cables to the correct terminals and attached the other cables to a running car. Actually, the owner of the other car attached the cables to his car.

After 5 minutes, I tried jumpstarting the car. No go. wait a couple minutes, no go. I did this for 2 more times and it wouldn't start. So I decided to wait for half an hour till the battery was fully recharged. I did start the car, but the engine died right after. I tried starting the car again several times, but the same thing happened. Finally the next day, I had it taken to the mechanic where he fully restored the battery. He tried starting the car but the same thing happened. Finally he told me to take the car to the Jay Wolfe Audi Dealership in Kansas City since he could not figure out the problem. After the $98.50 one hour diagnosis and 3 days waiting for an available tech, they told me that the ECU was fried and it would cost 1750 dollars to repair the ECU.

Can you tell me how to reduce the cost of the repair to my car?

Can you also tell me what did I do wrong when I jumpstarted the car? Did I jumpstarted too many times? Was I too impatient for the battery to be fully charged? I jumpstarted the car two times before and I never had this problem. The first time, I had the car started after the first try. The second time, I had it started the second try.

Before you start telling me about the warranty, the warranty expired at 80,000 miles. My odometer read at 80,468 miles.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECUs are very sensitive and I've heard that even jumpstarting a car...

... correctly can kill the ECU. It's possible (but unlikely) that you could find an ECU used, but most used ECUs came out of turbo cars (b/c the owners upgraded.

Good luck. You may want to make a warranty claim anyway given how close you were.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Time to buy a new Chipped ECU :)

Also, check salvage yards, ebay, etc.. for the EXACT SAME part # ECU.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:32 PM

Hey - where around KC are you? I could hook up my VAG ans see what comes up. I am in S. OP.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Hey - where around KC are you? I could hook up my VAG ans see what comes up. I am in S. OP.

I live nearby the Kansas University Medical Center which is on Rainbow Blvd by 39th St. However my car is at the dealership which is Jay Wolfe Audi. Do you hear any good things about Jay Wolfe?

They are asking for 1650 dollars. I cannot afford to pay that. I don't have the money. The most I can afford is around 500 to 600 dollars.

Do you recommend that I bring the car back to my place and we can fix the car together? I am willing to spend more time if it means saving at least $1000 dollars.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:38 PM

Default I use a MotorMaster portable battery jumper works GREAT.

Saved me twice with my audi and 2 batteries later.
Have not fried my ECU... Mind you i never jumped from another car...

Chad
2002 A6 2.7T
Old 03-09-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Hey - where around KC are you? I could hook up my VAG ans see what comes up. I am in S. OP.

Ok, I finally went to the dealership and spoke to the Service Manager. I had to keep asking questions to get any information. She was not forthcoming at all. She did not volunteer any information. I asked to see the diagnostic printout and she would not let me see it because it is considered as company information, not client information. I told her that I am paying for the diagnostic service. She
said, "You have not paid yet".

She said the total repair cost is 1634.27 dollars. THe breakdown is 1) $429.75 for labor 2) $1204.52 for parts.

The parts are:

1) ECM, 4D0997551EX
2) G252 Throttle Body, 078133063AX

I asked her if I could buy the parts from somewhere else and give them to the mechanic. She said yes but they cannot guarantee the service.

I asked if they offer any discounts. She said no.

After my session with her, all I could say that the customer service is very lacking. I am not impressed by them.

I did get a glance on the diagnostic printout. It said:

1) Engine Electronics
Malfunction

2) Interrogate fault memory
17967 p1559 035
Throttle valve control part J338

and there was a second part to the throttle that was a malfunction or error. I did not get a clear look or had the change to memorize it before that bitch took it away.

The breakdown of the parts are 1) ECM, $848.06 2) G252 Throttle Body, $356.46

The labor hours are 3.5 but she added one more hour for some diagnostic bull****.
She said she will add the initial diagnostic service to the repair cost bringing the total labor hours to 5.5. I know she was bull****ting because the original repair time was 3.5. She added one hour to it and presented as 4.5 and then told me she need to add one more hour because of the diagnostic service. I told her whatever, just give me a copy of your estimate.

I asked her if I can speak directly to the mechanic who will be doing the repairs and she said no, because the mechanics are too busy and they don't allow the mechanics to speak to us.

So, can I do the repairs for considerably less than 1600 dollars?

I asked her about that and she said she recommends against it because Audi cars are very sensitive equipment and it requires a fully 3 year trained technician to do the repairs. She also told me if I tinker with anything in it without an approved Audi certified mechanic and take it back to them, the repair cost goes up dramatically.

I need to repair this car soon because right now I am renting a car and I can't afford to shell out 30 dollars a day for two weeks. I really don't want to have the dealership repair the car for 1630 dollars. But I need it fixed soon. So please give me a timeline how long it will take to fix the car based on those parts required.