A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

PROCEDURE TO FIX 4.2L COOLANT LEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kapkanimd
Here is the part number: 077-115-441 for the figure 8 gasket. It sells for around $20.
Thanks so much!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the part number: 077-115-441 for the figure 8 gasket. It sells for around $20.
I went to Audi today to order the gasket. He found it, but it came up under the A8... the only way to get it for the A6 is ordering the set.. I ordered it anyway hoping it is the same part in the set. I will let you know when I get it and work on it. Probably this weekend.

$60 bucks for 1 gallon of antifreeze and 2 o-rings!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hello, where can this figure 8 gasket be purchased alone?

Where can this figure 8 gasket be purchased alone?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Google is your friend.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES10068/

Interestingly, or frustratingly, the item doesn't show a reference number on the part explosion but the p/n comes up on the list of parts.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 06-18-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you guys know if the procedure is the same for a 2005 4.2 Allroad?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsd911
Due to all the emails I have been receiving, I have summarized this procedure for all those owners who have experienced the notorious coolant leak from the right side of the engine block. I imagine that eventually all 4.2 owners will need this fix due to the design flaw. If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools, I would suggest doing the job yourself.

The coolant leak drove me absolutely nuts for 6 months. I replaced the water pump and hoses with no success......that was a huge job in itself. The local Audi dealer stated I needed a new head gasket, so I figured I would try the following procedure as a last resort.

What happens is that the plastic union between the block and the oil cooler cracks and leaks coolant . The leak will appear around the right side of the oil pan(at the backside)

The procedure is as follows:

1.Drain all coolant (there are two drain ***** on the block L + R sides).
2.remove oil filter
3.remove alternator belt, alternator and plastic breather
4.undo swaybar from passenger side (loosen drivers side)
5 remove passenger side rear engine support (unplug wire from it first), and bracket
6. go nuts removing the 5 or 6 hex bolts that hold the cooler in place ( the top ones are a bitch and will likely take you a few hours to undo and reinstall)
-if at this point you think that this is impossible..it almost is...........but persevere....you will get it done!

7.Inspect the plastic pipe for cracks and then after you are done swearing at the $8 part and you smash it with a hammer like I did, you can install the new one with NEW o-rings.

Reverse the procedure outlined above for re-install.

Caution! Don't overtighten anything......the block is aluminum.

Here is the parts list off the top of my head:

-o-ring kit for oil cooler
-o ring kit for plastic union pipe
-o- ring for metal coolant pipe
-vw/audi pentosin coolant (8 litres)
-distilled H20 (8 litres)
-new oil filter and washer
-new accessory belt since you are at it

I think the total parts were $50 plus the belt and coolant.

This job is all labour!

Count on 8 hours and Goodluck!

R. DIOCEE
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I know your post is years old, but I'm just experiencing this problem at 84k, Did you remove the bumper to complete this job? The answer can let me know how much more I need to do. Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2019, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi a6 v8 quattro 2002

Originally Posted by klouisdrk
I know your post is years old, but I'm just experiencing this problem at 84k, Did you remove the bumper to complete this job? The answer can let me know how much more I need to do. Thanks in advance
You don't have to remove the front bumper, only the right headlight, the alternator, if you have an secondary air pump then best to remove that too and the both right side engine mounts, then you can lift the engine up.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help! My A8 is leaking coolant from the drain plug on the oil cooler,

Due to all the emails I have been receiving, I have summarized this procedure for all those owners who have experienced the notorious coolant leak from the right side of the engine block. I imagine that eventually all 4.2 owners will need this fix due to the design flaw. If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools, I would suggest doing the job yourself.

The coolant leak drove me absolutely nuts for 6 months. I replaced the water pump and hoses with no success......that was a huge job in itself. The local Audi dealer stated I needed a new head gasket, so I figured I would try the following procedure as a last resort.

What happens is that the plastic union between the block and the oil cooler cracks and leaks coolant . The leak will appear around the right side of the oil pan(at the backside)

2.remove oil filter
5 remove passenger side rear engine support (unplug wire from it first), and bracket
6. go nuts removing the 5 or 6 hex bolts that hold the cooler in place ( the top ones are a bitch and will likely take you a few hours to undo and reinstall)
-if at this point you think that this is impossible..it almost is...........but persevere....you will get it done!

7.Inspect the plastic pipe for cracks and then after you are done swearing at the $8 part and you smash it with a hammer like I did, you can install the new one with NEW o-rings.

This job is all labour!

R. DIOCEE
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Old 03-11-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help! My A8 is leaking coolant from the drain plug on the oil cooler, is it the same?

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I've done it...here's some pics.
Do the alternator VR (brushes are worn) if 140K miles or more or close to that.
check your motor mounts...my front one was sheared.

LOL...you'll probably have to put the front end in service position.
Highly recommend some kind of magnetized 8mm hex bit driver or maybe a short ball tip hex bit for that danged center top bolt.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help! My A8 is leaking coolant from the drain plug on the oil cooler, was yours the s

2.remove oil filter

This job is all labour!

R. DIOCEE
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Quick Reply: PROCEDURE TO FIX 4.2L COOLANT LEAK!