A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Pull Transmission with engine or alone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Transmission with engine or alone?

I think I am going to take out my automatic tranny but want to see what worked in the past for you:

-raise car high enough to separate and drop from engine?
-pull engine and tranny as one unit?

Variables I am working with:

-going to work at home
-I have car on jacks currently
-I'd rather not pull engine because it seems like more work

Just want to know what you did or what you had rather done in hindsight. I am learning!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its quite hideous to do. If you go out the bottom, You need 2 jacks. One off set towards the diff on the pan, and the other on the tail. And you remove the rear subframe bolts so it tilts way down. Support the engine of course. You of course cant just drop the trans down because the subframe, so you have to lower the *** end of the trans, push it back. lower front and back, push it further back. And you basically tilt it out and back, to get the massive front diff past the subframe. It goes down the tunnel a long way before you can lower it to the floor.

Removal for me is easy, but install can be somewhat dangerous, if you can chain or attach the trans to the jack at the front it would make it much better. My shop doesnt have lifts, so we do it all old school on the floor. On V8 and turbo 2.7 cars, I do pull the whole engine trans together and then separate, its safer and easier, just a fair bit more time consuming. On 1.8T cars I will just remove the transmission out the bottom.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Damn, sounds like a bear of a job.

Prospeeder, first, thanks for giving your invaluable input on my postings.

Second, as a engine tear down rookie, would you recommend taking out engine and tranny as one or just the tranny?

Is it a lot of detailed work to take both out where I will end up dicking some hose or connection up?

Or just get the car high enough to drop tranny alone? I'd rather do the easier of the two.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have a engine hoist yea, just pull the nose off the car, unplug the ECU and connectors and lay them over the engine, cut all the zip ties holding all the wiring to the firewall, grounds, positive cable, undo everything else attached to the engine, exhaust driveshafts hoses ect. And pull it straight out. Safest and easiest way. Especially if you plan on doing some engine resealing, ect, its nice and easy outside the car lol.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Every dealer transmission pull is from the bottom.

Originally Posted by elpanson
I think I am going to take out my automatic tranny but want to see what worked in the past for you:

-raise car high enough to separate and drop from engine?
-pull engine and tranny as one unit?

Variables I am working with:

-going to work at home
-I have car on jacks currently
-I'd rather not pull engine because it seems like more work

Just want to know what you did or what you had rather done in hindsight. I am learning!
Engine stays in cars. Exception is perhaps the Q-series SUVs that use a monster jig to drop the power pack (shades of old days with M60 tanks and M1 turbine tank power packs..not using a jig but still, a big cubic monstrosity) out the bottom. But then dealers have car hoists and specialized transmission jacks.

For the tyro, I agree with Prospeeder...pull the entire engine/transmission. These cars are so old that SOMETHING is going to break or disintegrate and it's just so much easier to clean everything up while the engine/trans is out.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

these cars are so old ... I just decided it was less painful to throw the car away .. too bad really but it was the best solution. for 3 G I got another Audi.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Airbag
these cars are so old ... I just decided it was less painful to throw the car away .. too bad really but it was the best solution. for 3 G I got another Audi.

If its a nice car, why waste it. Beat up cars no, they dont deserve new engine or trans. But a nice good shape Audi with nice interior and good body and paint is worth another engine or transmission if you do it yourself. You go buy another 3k Audi so what, you have to fix all the same stuff again? At least getting a 500-1000$ engine or trans, plus gasket seals timing belt what ever, and your still way ahead on a car you personally know whats been done to, will be more reliable, and cheaper!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Plus you got a parts car if you got the similar

Originally Posted by Airbag
Audi.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Finally getting around to dropping automatic tranny and just got my Bentley A6 C5 service manual and.......the damn manual says "removal of the automatic transmission is outside the scope of this manual". Ahhhh, mother'effer!

What special tools are needed?

Anyone have a guide for this?

Thanks ahead of time.

ps, I plan to drop because logistically and area wise it makes the best way for me at the time.

Last edited by elpanson; 08-25-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No special tools or anything. No real guide, but you do need to put it in service position and remove the alternator then the starter to get at the converter bolts. On 2.8 Also the black intake pipe attached to the throttle body must be removed. to get at the bellhousing bolts. Exhaust from clamps to the manifolds must come off.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-26-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Pull Transmission with engine or alone?