A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question about Battery Life Expectancy.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Battery Life Expectancy.

My battery is 3 years old.

Do I need a new one? The gauge cluster reading stays at the next bar after half. (you get the idea... not 100% but the one before it).

But, when I just have the key in ignition with the car off, it shows only about half.

Now that it is colder I'm wondering if it will hold up???
Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Get your battery tested at Autozone first they will tell you the condition of your battery
Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You don't want it @ 100% That means ....

...your alternator is F/up and overcharged your battery.

KEY in the ignition? "ON" position?
YES = normal | meaning that all your accessories are getting power from the batt.
NO = means that you a have a short somewhere.

I just change by battery a few months ago.
It is it's original battery from 2002.

Replaced it with Die Hard from Sears or Autozone.
PS-22833349 Int'l Group 49
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Warranty period + 1 month

remarkably accurate.

As to your question - where the voltmeter is at any moment has no relevance whatsoever. Dont even use it as a guide. That shows *charge*. A new battery can have a low charge(although typically it wont) and a dying batter y can have full charge under good conditions.

They key is - does it crank slowly on cold mornings or after sitting for a few days? That's the sign of a weak battery.

G
Old 11-10-2008, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Usually 4-5 years depending on the battery.

I have a battery load tester and test it spring and fall. Wife's car has the audi battery (second one after the first OEM) and keep it filled with distilled water twice a year. So far the second battery is 5 years old in January 2009. Still load tests ok.

Load testers are relatively cheap insurance. Even with a green-eye maintenance-free battery. The gold standard is a green-eye maintenance-free battery with accessible cells so you can add distilled water, but hard to find. It's interesting that the army specifies batteries that are of the maintenance-free construction (high antimony plates, etc.) but WITH cell access for adding water. The access is also for activation with electrolyte at the time of installation...

The funny thing is my old Saab (sold and now in RI) 900T went almost 8 years on a maintenance free battery and tested ok until it didn't start one month after sitting for about three weeks (MIL in hospital, didn't drive, doesn't drive anymore). Charged it and worked fine, load tested fine, 48 hours later tested bad...morel (pun...mushroom) of the story is to load test after battery has been charged overnight and rested for 24 hours. Chemical kinetics, yada yada ¥åda.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default LOL--True dat.

I also look for a battery with the longest non-pro-rated warranty.
Sometimes you can find a 60 or even 72-month replacement without pro rated cost battery...these are extremely good deals. Pro rate sux because even if the new battery is on sale, the fine print means you pay a percentage of the list price which means the sale battery is probably cheaper than the pro-rated replacement. Caveat emptor.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

3-4 years. Low end of the range in hot climates.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 3 years is pretty young. Check and see if you can add distilled water to

the battery - the earlier A6s came with batteries that needed occasional filling.

As for your gauge, are you sure you know how to read it? The reading is Volts, and 12 roughly where you want to be, and when the car is runnning it should be 13 or so.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's going to depend on several things

Load - Most charging systems can handle a large load but if you have corroded cables or a large aftermarket sound system the charging system won't be able to keep the battery fully charged.

Battery Capacity - To save weight most manufacturers only put in a small or moderately sized battery. As the battery ages and the wiring corrodes it gets tougher for the battery to provide cranking amps. A larger battery will provide some buffer.

Environmental - Batteries don't like extreme temperatures. Hot weather degrades them over time while cold weather saps their available cranking amps. Batteries have improved over time. It used to be that a battery would only last 2 years in the south. The last few batteries I've had have lasted 3 - 4 years in the heat. I would expect them to last 4 - 5 years in a cooler climate.

Other - as I mentioned above, corrosion can reduce the cranking amps delivered to the starter and can even reduce the the system voltage low enough that some electronics start acting funny. Another, more rare problem, is faulty wiring or electronics that put a constant load on the battery when the car is shut off. This can drain a perfectly good battery and make it appear like the battery is at fault. This type of probelm can be difficult to troubleshoot.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine last 7 years

Quick Reply: Question about Battery Life Expectancy.