A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question about fuses, cruise control and steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about fuses, cruise control and steering wheel

Hey guys, I had bought a used 1998 Audi A6 quattro 2.8L few months back. First of all its an awesome car! Totally in love with it.

Sorry for the noob question. I just don't want to do something stupid and activate the airbag or something. Better safe than sorry.
TL;DR version:
1) To check a fuse in fuse box, do I just pull it out with the clip in the fuse box and check continuity with a multimeter?

2) My Cruise control doesn't work and the slot for cruise control fuse #11, is just empty. Planning to buy a new fuse and put it in the slot to see if that would fix it. What would be the rating in A of that particular fuse and where would I buy a good quality aftermarket/OE from?

Long version:
I do have heated seats (at least for drivers and front passenger seats) and I also have the ski sack (seeing that for the first time in a car, can't wait to drive up to the mountain this winter in this baby). AFAIK this means that the car has cold weather package (Ref: Model guide). So this means it should also have heated steering wheel. But seems like that is not working. i turn on the seat heating and it warms up my *** but no feeling of heat on the steering wheel at all. So I thought maybe its a blown fuse, which takes me to fuse box.

Coincidentally I see that the box doesn't even have a fuse for cruise control (#11). Wth I'm wondering if someone pulled it out because the fuse kept getting blown. I'm planning to find the right kind of fuse and putting it in. Is that a bad idea? Suggestions on anything better to diagnose the issue?

Cheers!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Btw

Sorry for the double post. In case you didn't know, the number on the fuse in the fuse box is the rating in A. So anyone with a 1998 Audi A6, if they could let me know the rating of the Cruise control fuse, that would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The heated steering wheel is known to quit working early in life. Yours is probably dead. My '98 A6 heated steering wheel only lasted a few years. Sure was nice.

The cruise control is also a known issue. But I would try the fuse first. Your owner's manual should give you the correct rating.

Search this forum for more detailed answers. There are many threads for these issues.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Confirmed heated steering wheel does exist in my car

Yes my car does have heated steering wheel. Confirmed that by looking up the PR codes on the sticker near the spare tire and one of the codes '2PR' on my car's sticker means leather steering wheel, heated.

Wasted an hour and half searching the forums. Didn't find anything about how to diagnose. Just some posts that say 'the heating elements are known to burn out after time' and that it can't be repaired, I would have to replace the whole wheel. I'll check continuity through the fuse anyways after pulling it out.

I've looked all over the user manual. It doesn't say what rating the CC fuse should be, it shows the rating of each fuse color. But as I don't have any fuse for #11 I can't know its color and hence the rating from the manual. If anyone can take a look at their fuse box and let me know the color and number on their #11 fuse, that would be great.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My manual for my 2001 says 10 amp for the cc fuse for automatics. Your manual does not specify? Cruise controls have a known issue (solder joints). May be why fuse was removed.

This is a fine auto, but 17 years old. Accept there are likely to be some tired parts.

Maybe someone else will give you the answers you want.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes of course. I had been living with no CC. But now that I have seen that it doesn't have a fuse for CC, it makes me really curious to see if adding the right fuse would fix it

Thanks for your help! I'll just wait and see if someone with a 98 a6 will confirm, just to be safe.