A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

spider hose issues 3.0 asn

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spider hose issues 3.0 asn

Well got round to replacing all vacuum lines. While I was there I removed the pcv to get better access and discovered that the hose from the block has broken in half. Have ordered new pcv and hoses, but until they arrive I'm depending on a washing machine drain hose (handy being a plumber, although I wish I was a mechanic)! Car runs much better, but is there a better replacement than oem plastic hose?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by clueless racer
Well got round to replacing all vacuum lines. While I was there I removed the pcv to get better access and discovered that the hose from the block has broken in half. Have ordered new pcv and hoses, but until they arrive I'm depending on a washing machine drain hose (handy being a plumber, although I wish I was a mechanic)! Car runs much better, but is there a better replacement than oem plastic hose?
I don't have a 3.0 but for most PCV parts there isn't anything better than OEM. Here's why…the OEMs have to certify and warranty their emissions stuff for 8/80….if your car is less than 8 years old and 80K miles (in some cases it's 10/100, like my S6 cats) make the dealer fix it under emissions warranty.
However, the C5s are out of warranty, last one was MY2004 IIRC so we're likely to see more and more age and equipment-related PCV failures and/or maintenance requirements. In the case of the infamous spider hose, it seems that replacement is the best cure.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe the OEM spider hose is the best solution…the OEM had to warranty it for a long time under the emission warranty…the C5s are just getting old. Replace the spider hose as necessary with OEM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My posts/answers still aren't working.
But my viewpoint is that the OEM spider hoses are as good as can get…the OEM has to certify them and warranty them for a long time…it's just that C5s are getting old.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
My posts/answers still aren't working.
But my viewpoint is that the OEM spider hoses are as good as can get…the OEM has to certify them and warranty them for a long time…it's just that C5s are getting old.
Thanks for your reply, have ordered oem replacements. Was curious if anyone has tried anything other than oem with better results. Mine has lasted 125k miles so can't complain.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clueless racer
Thanks for your reply, have ordered oem replacements. Was curious if anyone has tried anything other than oem with better results. Mine has lasted 125k miles so can't complain.
I would bet not although I have seen various kluges with heater hose, etc. They all seem to come after many years and miles when the OEM spider hose clogs from inadequate maintenance, including oil changes appropriate to vehicle/engine usage. If you google you will see many of these kluges…that's not to say kluges don't work…they often do and clearly long enough to redo them or until the next car.