A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replace 2002 Halogen with new angel eye HID

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 2002 Halogen with new angel eye HID

Hi,
Just joined and hope to frequent this site often. I just purchased a 2002 A6 3.0 that has frosted headlights needing replacing. I just purchased some new Depo angel eye Xenon's and DS2 headlights from ebay. I also purchased factory ballasts. My question is has anyone performed this conversion with factory ballasts and existing wiring. I assume the harness is the same except there won't be any leveling motors, etc. Will there be any issues that need addressing with regards to the dash lamp out detectors or excessive current in the stock wiring? Anyone try this? Also, will be getting Audi repair manual to look at electrical schematic to look at circuit. Are there any spare wires in the harness that i could use for the angel eyes? Any spare points to tap on the light switch for just the angel eyes on only. I have seen comments at a VW forum about using a 3-position Euro switch for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Be careful with fixed HID's

Originally Posted by TNA6
Hi,
Just joined and hope to frequent this site often. I just purchased a 2002 A6 3.0 that has frosted headlights needing replacing. I just purchased some new Depo angel eye Xenon's and DS2 headlights from ebay. I also purchased factory ballasts. My question is has anyone performed this conversion with factory ballasts and existing wiring. I assume the harness is the same except there won't be any leveling motors, etc. Will there be any issues that need addressing with regards to the dash lamp out detectors or excessive current in the stock wiring? Anyone try this? Also, will be getting Audi repair manual to look at electrical schematic to look at circuit. Are there any spare wires in the harness that i could use for the angel eyes? Any spare points to tap on the light switch for just the angel eyes on only. I have seen comments at a VW forum about using a 3-position Euro switch for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Because if your in a non-level area your going the ****-off the on coming natives and even the cops, true HID's are very bright narrowed focused beams.

The issue's I have read with "some" non-leveling aftermarkets is that they splay out the beam to compensate, hence not so focused, hence not so true just white. Hope you have those type.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, I believe they were the elliptical lenses. Know of any links for a conversion like this?
thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea, the add info can be misleading too..

What you have is a lamp housing with projector lens and ellipsoid headlights which means a "single filament lens tipped bulb" nothing out of the norm just a razzle dazzle name, not sure about the elliptical term your using or where that applies?

Best advise, aim a bit inside on the left a bit outside on the right and stay low with both.

Search the forums here or google it I'm sure you will find something about this install mod, seems like I've read a couple over the past years.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

best advice, dont by cheap *** knock offs that are NOT DOT approved. fyi i report every car to the authorities with aftermarket HID lights which are never DOT approved
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would second that too

The police seem to be kicking over every stone these days to write tickets.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry not trying to be a dick, but i work in the lighting industry and the number one danger one night time roads (other then drunk drivers) are missaimed headlight and non DOT approved HIDs, the problem being that the beam pattern is supposed to cut at the hood-line. non DOT lights blast out light that can blind other driver. also non DOT lights are not made to reduce glare, causing even more danger on the roads.

sorry but i will never recommend part that puts other peoples safety at risk.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

tough to report the without a license plate #. Worst ones are idiots with blue fog lights....if not a licensed/bonded emergency worker/fireman they should be broken out by the cop that pulls them over.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks jcman,
The HID projector lens in this headlight is actually a German lens designed specifically to produce an ellipse pattern versus a round pattern light beam to flatten the beam some. It is a replacement fixture for the OEM unit and produces a clear cut-off at the top end to reduce the glare for oncoming drivers. I was looking for someone that may have had experience with any of the associated wiring that I may need to be aware of before installing. I went ahead and ordered an Audi Repair manual to get the schematics. Looks like I'll be on my own on this one. As for the others responding with criticism, that's not what folks are looking for here, at least not me. I have the same concerns you mentioned about the application of HID's and would not consider doing this if it was going to be an issue for fellow drivers. They will be properly tested and aligned before they hit the road.
thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have no problem with you doing this, and its good to see you have done your homework! ill try to pull up some scans of the wiring schematic for ya.

we are always here to help, but i and others will not help with stuff that is illegal or dangerous to other drivers. that being said, DOT isnt everything, TUV in my mind is a better standard anyways

Quick Reply: Replace 2002 Halogen with new angel eye HID