A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replace 2002 Halogen with new angel eye HID

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You're welcome TNA6

My criticism is purely out of genuine concern of safety for others along with yourself, if you have the beams adjusted properly as you said with these DOT rated lamps that’s good, and the comment about traffic law enforcement is one that I hope you don't experience because they seem to look for mods that are often misinterpreted before the citation.

The manual should also serve you other good purpose to have along with vag-com too, that is a good start overall.

Honestly, you should have no problems finding this mod or a similar light switch mods because it’s all on how you search and be resourceful.

Just some tips here, if you go to the top of the page there is a Resource tab
check it out, if you search the forums STF as we call it type in HID upgrade or mod something is there to direct to a link that many provide in their threads, you can do it.

Personally I like the lamps with the Audi Eye Brows if I were to upgrade, I already have factory self leveling HID's on my 04.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Or you can

Check in this link.
http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#vag*******
Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for your replies. I also ordered the VAG-COM, that's not cheap! Looks like if you own an Audi you're going to need it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are in the right direction....

Originally Posted by TNA6
Thanks all for your replies. I also ordered the VAG-COM, that's not cheap! Looks like if you own an Audi you're going to need it.
... you will find vag-com to be very useful and kind of cool too while saving money it will pay for it self, mine did on my two C5's.

Welcome to the forum, many good members here with plenty of knowledge and experience to share.

AKA John V.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually it's a blessing that you own an Audi. Not too many other manufacturers opened up their systems to allow a tool such as VaG-COM, you would be stuck with a generic OBD scanner. You essentially have an Audi technician's resources at your fingertips.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great point, because....

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Actually it's a blessing that you own an Audi. Not too many other manufacturers opened up their systems to allow a tool such as VaG-COM, you would be stuck with a generic OBD scanner. You essentially have an Audi technician's resources at your fingertips.
..the only other car that I had that kinda came close with only 30% of vag-com's features was a 87 Buick Riv with a diagnostic mode in the CRT screen
that allowed you to check out-put test's on engine ECM controls and BCM's, no coding but hey it was state of the art for Generous Motors at the time.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
It is quite literally the same tool we used at the dealership, ours was called the VAG5051 but same interface and everything !
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default checked wiring diagram

Hi folks,
I finally got the Audi repair manual DVD (eBahn). A little disappointed, not as much info as I would have expected. Regardless, I looked at the headlight schematic to compare the 2002 standard low beam circuit with a 2002 HID circuit. Ignoring the leveling devices, etc., the main difference is the 1.5mm (about #16AWG)wire size in the final connection to the ballast versus the halogen 1.0mm (as well as the ballasts themselves). The other difference is the addition of a Lamp Control Module, labeled as J123 on the schematic and showing it located as relays 9&10 for right and left low beams in the #13 fold relay panel. The thing I can't determine is what 9 and 10 actually do and how they are controlled. Anybody have any ideas? If I can crack this I can determine if they are needed or not and will have a complete picture of the circuit.
thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi folks,
I finally got the Audi repair manual DVD (eBahn). A little disappointed, not as much info as I would have expected. Regardless, I looked at the headlight schematic to compare the 2002 standard low beam circuit with a 2002 HID circuit. Ignoring the leveling devices, etc., the main difference is the 1.5mm (about #16AWG)wire size in the final connection to the ballast versus the halogen 1.0mm (as well as the ballasts themselves). The other difference is the addition of a Lamp Control Module, labeled as J123 on the schematic and showing it located as relays 9&10 for right and left low beams in the #13 fold relay panel. The thing I can't determine is what 9 and 10 actually do and how they are controlled. Anybody have any ideas? If I can crack this I can determine if they are needed or not and will have a complete picture of the circuit.
thanks.

yeah the DVD sucks,, you can actually get the official audi manual for 1500$ a year, or have a 24 hour access to it for 100$ with unlimited printing, problem is it would be thousands of pages, so between me you and the wall, just print to a network PDF printer and bypass the regulations. it is FAR more comprehensive then any manual on the market!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I looked too..

And my thoughts are that 9 & 10 are output relay's from the module, so the question would be do you have the relay's in you car?

If so pull them out and start the engine and turn your lights on.

Quick Reply: Replace 2002 Halogen with new angel eye HID