A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replaced engine and transmission now no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced engine and transmission now no start

So as the title says. The vehicle is a 2001 Audi A6 2.7t replaced both engine and transmission now the car wont start. Here is a bit of backstory. Picked 2 a6's up for 800 one that was crashed with 100k miles good engine and transmission, the second is good body bad transmission. Both cars are 2001 transmission codes are the same. Now I have decided to swap complete engine and transmission over. Everything went smoothly I have found only one plug that doesn't match up which is brake booster pump so that's not plugged in. Now everything else plugged right up. I have kept the good body cars ecu and the crashed cars harness I'm wondering if that's causing a no start. The symptom is this I go to crank the engine it turns over but it acts like it wants to lock up like it doesn't have enough power so crank crank crank then all power stops and it cranks yet again when I say all power stops I mean all lights turn off I have an obd2 scanner that resets everything shuts off for a fraction of a second. I checked the grounds as far as I can tell they are both there one on top driver side one on bottom passenger side. I am at a loss as to what I'm missing. There are no codes stored I checked all the plugs I touched they are all plugged. As of right now I have no coolant in the engine or power steering fluid. Any help would be appreciated. If this issue has been brought up before I'm sorry I have tried searching with no luck
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Edit I did verify the engine I put in indeed started and shifted gears
Old 01-18-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Suggest you add coolant. Complete lack of coolant may be triggering a sensor that will prevent a start. The "lock up" effect could be a low battery charge. Try putting it on a charger for a while and refill the coolant.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure this is it but does the car have the immobilizer circuitry? My 2001 A6 2.7 does. My understanding is it allows the car to start then shuts it off after a couple of seconds. Don't know if you changed ecu whether that would cause the immobilizer to activate. There is a dash light for this.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have tried with both ecu's the one that belongs to the 100k engine flashes the key when I try. Now I'm getting a warning light for oil when I crank for 10-20 seconds do you think I should replace the oil sensor at the bottom of the oil pan. Keep in mind I did have both engines started before I began the project
Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
Not sure this is it but does the car have the immobilizer circuitry? My 2001 A6 2.7 does. My understanding is it allows the car to start then shuts it off after a couple of seconds. Don't know if you changed ecu whether that would cause the immobilizer to activate. There is a dash light for this.
That's another good point. The immobilizer is found on the back of the instrument panel. It needs to be paired with the ECU to allow the vehicle to function. You will need VCDS of some sort to do this, like Ross Tech for example.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I checked for spark it has spark consistently I don't have a injector light to check for fuel but it did flood so I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel. So does this mean it could of jumped a tooth on the timing belt or are the cams coded to the ecu and if so could I just swap everything over ecu cluster ignition tumbler and whatever interior computers there are? I will check the timing today and update. I would love to finish this car up for my wife as I'm driving her to work and all
Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrei Matache
So I checked for spark it has spark consistently I don't have a injector light to check for fuel but it did flood so I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel. So does this mean it could of jumped a tooth on the timing belt or are the cams coded to the ecu and if so could I just swap everything over ecu cluster ignition tumbler and whatever interior computers there are? I will check the timing today and update. I would love to finish this car up for my wife as I'm driving her to work and all
Next time you take your wife to work, stop at NAPA and buy a noid light.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I think it jumped timing somehow I'm trying to find a cam tool here locally to align the cams if all else fails things coming back off and the other engine is getting put back in this is frustrating and this timing belt is new also ughh
Old 01-19-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok timing belt aligned right still no start it has spark injectors are working it has air did a scan only code was vacuum pump which is of course not on this harness so I am completely and utterly stuck now

Quick Reply: Replaced engine and transmission now no start