A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Replacing Transmission Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Q 3.0 TCM

My Audi is starting to shift hard , it did get flooded after a lot of rain and the TCM got wet , i removed it and there was water but it doesn't look burnt anywhere , can it be dried ? if not which exact numbers do i need for replacement ?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Joson
My Audi is starting to shift hard , it did get flooded after a lot of rain and the TCM got wet , i removed it and there was water but it doesn't look burnt anywhere , can it be dried ? if not which exact numbers do i need for replacement ?
You can certainly try to dry the TCM. shake all of the water out of it and leave it in a warm, dry, sunny place for a couple of days, reinstall it and see if the problem goes away.

The part number should be embossed on the outside of the TCM. If not, VCDS reports the proper part number when displaying the codes, etc. You should replace with exactly the same part number.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok here it goes , i have this beautiful 03 Audi A6 Q 3.0 and it has been stalling and running erratically so i replaced the MAF sensor , it helpee but it still will stall then when i turn off the car and back on sometimes the EPC light goes out and it runs great again but now it is Bucking when i shift into drive and reverse so i took the TCM out and indeed it was wet but didn't look fried so i dried it out but it is still bucking , could the TCM still be the cause of the EPC light still coming on or should i change it out ? also is it possible that the Throttle body is dirty and needs cleaning ,, i note that when the EPC light does go out the car runs really well until the next day ,, can anyone guide me here i love this car ...
Old 07-16-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Get the car scanned for fault codes. A generic scanner may pull some codes but a VAG Com scan will give better information. Water leaking into the cabin is common on these cars and of course there are sensitive electronics on the floor board under the carpet.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone figured this issue out for sure? My car 03 Audi A6 Quattro flooded on passenger side and my car went into limp mode. Won’t shift out of 3rd. I now have tried 2 different mechanics and 2 TCUs I’ve gotten from EBay and both mechanics say they cannot get the TCU to communicate with the rest of the car. I took it to the dealership and obviously they want $2600 to start and can’t promise that it will fix the issue! What’s my best option? Send off the TCU to Canada to be repaired and sent back? Will that work? I need help here
Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

It would be helpful to have the codes. If your mechanics aren't using a VAGCOM scan tool, it won't tell you what you need to know. You will also probably need to recode any replacement TCU's to work for your car, again a proper VAGCOM tool should be able to do that. Some of the parts on Ebay are cheap Asian knock-offs and not worth the cost of shipping. 1) get the codes 2) find a shop or mechanic that has Audi experience and the correct scanner (Ross Tech is your best option). 3) make sure any replacement parts match the part number of the old unit. Throwing parts at this is crazy expensive and won't get you anywhere you want to be. Don't give up. This is solvable.
The following users liked this post:
Neckel44 (12-19-2019)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought TCM on Ebay with wiring harness. 230$ when i did this I added a rubber seal to the box for future preservation. I loosened the seat I didn't remove it.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cfree5119
Does anyone have a guide on replacing a transmission control module on a 2003 Audi A6 3.0L Quattro?

Where is the unit located?

My car isn't displaying a check engine light but the Audi dealer read a code on their reader that said the transmission control module may be worth replacing. As far as my own observations, the car will shutter when shifting at 45mph when slowly accelerating. Can't really tell that it does it when accelerating fast. Also, when using tip-tronic it doesn't have shifting problems. It is a little abrupt shifting between 1st and 2nd.

What will happen when I know I must replace the module?

Thank you all!
It is located underneath the passenger seat under the carpet

Old 07-25-2022, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C drain.

Be sure to check the drain for the A/C on the passenger side trans hump.
After ours plugged up, I put a small household dehumidifier in the car for about 3 days.
It probably pulled about 3 quarts of water out of the passenger compartment.