A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

SAFE mode will not go away

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFE mode will not go away

I bought a 2002 A6 2.7T from a dealership with the radio on "SAFE" . It will not leave "SAFE" mode for me to enter the 4 digit code. The dealer out here removed the radio, checked it, and said he had to order a new one (6-8 weeks - what a joke). I have tried just about everything - held down all combinations of buttons including RDS and AS as called out in manual - let it wait an hour - pulled fuse. Nothing works. Any other ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

doesn't sound good...but 6-8 weeks is ridiculous. Sorry to hear it
Old 07-31-2004, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought you needed a code to get out of "SAFE" mode, and the dealer could get it? No?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: I thought you needed a code to get out of "SAFE" mode, and the dealer could get it? No?

I cannot enter a code because SAFE is the only word which appears on the radio. The dealer I bought it from was not an Audi dealer - so they were no help in telling me how it came to this point.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Seen this before.

In both cases the radio had to be replaced. Sadly that was before the introduction of the new VAS (Volkswagen Audi Solution) 5051. I'm thinking the new VAS 5051 system can enter the code bypassing the old manual entry. As I understand it, the VAS can extract the serial number of the radio, communicate with Audi main system via the internet, gather the correct code and then program it back into the radio. The technician never even sees the code. You need to speak to a competent Audi service advisor (sorry I dont know how you do that). The VAS system is the most sophisticated diagnostic tool to date. Given technology available to us today, its surprising that all manufacturers have not come up with similar systems. The nicest feature of the system is Telediagnostics. With the 5051 hooked up the car and the internet, Audi technicians sitting in a room somewhere in Germany can remotely see any value block, activate and interrogate any component on the vehicle. Not rocket science but still a huge step in the area of service and repair. Now if I only had 20 grand laying around.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: doesn't sound good...but 6-8 weeks is ridiculous. Sorry to hear it

You will most likely get a remanufactured radio.
When they replaced the radio in my 100 in 1994, it came without a code and it worked when installed but of course the display faded like the original. Audi isn't too swift on electronics.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:48 PM

Default You need to wait 1 hour and...

You DEFINITELY need to have the radio on for a full hour and the key in the ignition for entire time (I had mine running as my daily commute is 45-50min). Do NOT shut off the radio, when the hour is up with the radio on and key still in the ignition. Push both of the buttons for bringing up the code entry screen (SAFE mode light will not leave or shut off press the 2 buttons while the is on). At this time you can enter the code again.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Been there...(more)

DO NOT TOUCH IT FOR 1 HOUR! Start the car, turn on the radio to get to SAFE and drive without turning off the car OR touching the radio for a full hour. Then put in your code. Dealer tried the "Need a new radio" bit on me, f*kn thieves...
Old 08-02-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: SAFE mode will not go away

IT WORKED!

Thanks alot -

The Audi dealer out here evidently has no idea about this - makes me wonder...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Default Re: SAFE mode will not go away

when u leave car running for an hour what buttons do you press to enable code entery??? i had tape player,that was blocked in safe! but i wanted a cd player anyay. it came tonight. i put it in and it still says safe! arrghh!! help

Quick Reply: SAFE mode will not go away