AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Still without a car almost two months later...ecu? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/still-without-car-almost-two-months-later-ecu-2832383/)

slowguy 08-24-2012 04:59 PM

Still without a car almost two months later...ecu?

Let me try to explain this as simply as possible so it's not too hard to follow:

1 . Sent my ecu to apr for tuning. Got the ecu back, car ran great for two days. Went to a resturant (ran perfect on the way there), came out and car was completely dead. Will crank away but no fire at all.

Checked fuel to fuel rail - ok. Towed car, sent ecu to APR. Said they fixed it (never telling me what they did) and sent back. Same results.

2 . Sent original ecu and purchased a used ebay ecu. They said they put original to stock and tuned the new ecu. They took the immobilizer data from original and put it on new ecu.

3 . Got both ecu's back. Same results. Plugged in new ecu, cranks but no fire. Out of curiosity I tried orignal ecu and for the first time the car fired for a second or two, then shut off due to no longer having immo data (i know this because I can see the immo light flashing when it shut off). Was told by apr to send both back again.

4 . Did that, got both back tonight. Tried both ecu's and got absolutely nothing...no fire at all...just cranks away. Even original ecu now does not attempt to fire and shut off because of immobilizer.

I am really at a loss now. I have no idea what to do next. I have a million "what ifs" running through my head. Is it possible that they screwed up BOTH ecu's? I checked every single connector I could get to. I unplugged multiple connectors one at a time trying to start in between each. I fully charged the battery. If the problem is not the ecu why did it fire with the original ecu second to last time? Are there any parts electronic or otherwise that would cause these symptoms? If the immo data is lost on both ecu's or the key is screwed up somehow, wouldn't the car do like it did on the second try and run for a second and then shut off blinking immo light?

I could go on and on with the questions but I'll see what you have to say. I am just REALLY frustrated and tired of this already. I just bought this thing a few months ago and have probably put a total of an hour drive time on it.

4Driver4 08-24-2012 06:40 PM

Codes?

slowguy 08-25-2012 05:56 AM

No OBD2 generic codes. I don't have a vagcom so I called my brother. He is coming with his tonight. I'm not sure he has ever used it so I have to do some reading so hopefully I can get it to work right.

Prospeeder 08-25-2012 10:10 AM

a bad crankshaft sensor, bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuses for critical engine management stuff all can cause a crank no fire. It really could be a coincidence

slowguy 08-25-2012 01:12 PM

Well, I just spent the last two hours poking around and found that both ecu's, the original and the new one are diplaying p0601. Vas says, "control unit defective". So...regardless if there is another problem exterior to the ecu, Audi would tell me that the ecu needs replaced first.

slowguy 08-25-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Prospeeder (Post 24339859)
a bad crankshaft sensor, bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuses for critical engine management stuff all can cause a crank no fire. It really could be a coincidence

Checked every connector I could find. All look clean and tight. Checked every fuse in the car all ok. didn't get any codes pertaining to speed sensors, crank/cam sensors. Checked and found fuel pump turning on when cranking and squirts fuel like crazy to the top of the engine. I am at a total loss.

Prospeeder 08-25-2012 02:13 PM

yea bad ecus of ur getting that code. What a joke they ruined both your ecus

slowguy 08-25-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prospeeder (Post 24339946)
yea bad ecus of ur getting that code. What a joke they ruined both your ecus

I just didn't want to believe that was the problem. I don't see how a big tuner company like that could destroy TWO ecu's in a row. Also, it did run after it had been tuned the very first time - but I only drove it an hour TOTAL or so before it because stranded. We drove to the resturant (running just fine on the way there - no CEL, no missing, nothing) and an hour or so later came out, and cranked away. This has been about a month now I've been without my "new" used car. Really sucks. Was really excited to get to know the car. Now I'm just depressed and seems to be a bad sign right in the beginning. I feel, however, I've learned quite a bit about the car.

Is there anything exterior to the ecu (module, or component) that could cause the ecu's to become useless?

slowguy 08-25-2012 02:28 PM

I wish there was an "edit" function on this forum.. Here's what I sent to apr today;

As we discussed on Friday, I went ahead and had a scan done of both ecu's and both have a code of P0601 and the audi diagnostic program VAS expands upon stated "control unit defective". So, if I were to have the car towed to an Audi dealer - regardless if the only problem is the ecu (no other codes come up other than the control unit defective), they would definitely tell me the ecu must be replaced. So, the problem will have to be fixed by your tech department, or whoever deals with these things, to get me a new ecu and have it properly programmed for the options in my car. Please let me know asap how this will be handled as I REALLY would like to use my vehicle after over a month of being defective. Time is of the essence.

I will also need to be reimbursed for the programming I did not receive and the second ecu I was told to purchase and then was subsequently rendered defective by your company. You can call me any time on my cell at XXXXX any time.

2.7Lturbo 08-25-2012 02:51 PM

apr is GARBAGE.... used to think it was just overpriced, now i know its overpriced garbage