A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stupid Timing Chain Tensioner Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No thrilling conclusion to the story?

I just read the whole thread because I did the exact same thing. Tensioner shoe exploded. When replacing I noticed my cams were out of alignment by a tooth or two. I guess all the slack being thrown into the chain when the shoe goes makes the cam alignment get thrown out. I replaced the tensioner, put the cams back in alignment, and when i started it the car was rocking at idle and running like crap. So I bent valves when I drove the rest of the way home after the shoe went on the tensioner. But hell If I knew for sure that was the problem I would have never driven it. All it was was loud ticking..so I thought maybe a bearing went. A costly mistake.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsMods
No thrilling conclusion to the story?

I just read the whole thread because I did the exact same thing. Tensioner shoe exploded. When replacing I noticed my cams were out of alignment by a tooth or two. I guess all the slack being thrown into the chain when the shoe goes makes the cam alignment get thrown out. I replaced the tensioner, put the cams back in alignment, and when i started it the car was rocking at idle and running like crap. So I bent valves when I drove the rest of the way home after the shoe went on the tensioner. But hell If I knew for sure that was the problem I would have never driven it. All it was was loud ticking..so I thought maybe a bearing went. A costly mistake.
I've seen the 2.8 run all day with the timing off 2 teeth. Three might bend the valves. Driving it home didn't make the damage worse. The damage happened on the first revolution that the timing was off. So don't beat yourself up about it. Driving home made no difference.