AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   TB and valve cover gasket change questions. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/tb-valve-cover-gasket-change-questions-2827755/)

recremd 06-03-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 (Post 24307571)
I can't tell from the picture. Sorry.

I will try and snag a better picture. Would it be an indented hex bit (either 6 or 8 mm) as opposed to the 10 mm bolt that I keep reading about? One way or the other, I'm pretty sure that pipe to the turbo needs to get out of my way...

recremd 06-03-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 (Post 24307571)
I can't tell from the picture. Sorry.

What I'm looking at there is the sway bar on the right, the two on the left are the ac lines I think, and the bar running horizontally is the turbo pipe in question. At least, as far as I can tell. The bolts I'm looking at are recessed hex bolts maybe 10 inches behind the pipes.

audiqv8 06-03-2012 07:19 PM

It is the crankshaft sensor that your are removing so there is a wire attached to it. It is located on the driverside in the engine block about even with the crankshaft.

recremd 06-03-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by audiqv8 (Post 24307632)
It is the crankshaft sensor that your are removing so there is a wire attached to it. It is located on the driverside in the engine block about even with the crankshaft.

Further back than what I'm looking at? This is driving me crazy.

OGBULLYLOCDAWG 06-03-2012 08:53 PM

This is a photo from a 2.8 motor, but the location should be near identical:

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG (Post 24287823)

That's the oil pan in the 1st photo, on the drivers side.

It's a 10mm bolt attached to the cam lock plug, make sure the o-ring comes out.

divil 06-04-2012 07:17 AM

You may have to bend a metal bracket that carries some wires. Just gently bend it out of the way enough to reach your hand in there. There isn't much room to use a wrench so it can take a while to get the bolt out.

The locking pin should go in at least this far

I was able to put it in by hand. When it's in this far, the crankshaft will not budge in the slightest.

recremd 06-04-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG (Post 24307654)
This is a photo from a 2.8 motor, but the location should be near identical:

That's the oil pan in the 1st photo, on the drivers side.

It's a 10mm bolt attached to the cam lock plug, make sure the o-ring comes out.

Thanks. I'm going to try and pull out that pipe that's blocking my vision and take another look during lunch. I'm definitely looking in the right area, although I'm not looking at the right thing at the moment. If you look back to my original picture, about 2/3 down on the left side, you can see the edge of my oil drain. The differences that I'm seeing between the 2 is the pipe isn't in this picture, and the 2 AC lines are missing as well.

I'm determined to find this today. The good news though is that I'm definitely looking in the right place. I can't imagine that it would be a foot or 2 more towards the rear. At this point, I think it's just a matter of my vision being blocked by that pipe.

divil 06-04-2012 07:55 AM

I wouldn't remove any pipes until you know exactly what they are, especially in that area near the AC compressor.

There was a thread recently where a guy was having trouble finding this same plug that you're looking for...luckily he posted a pic of what he thought was it - it was part of the AC compressor, and he could have been injured if he'd removed it.

recremd 06-04-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by divil (Post 24307816)
I wouldn't remove any pipes until you know exactly what they are, especially in that area near the AC compressor.

There was a thread recently where a guy was having trouble finding this same plug that you're looking for...luckily he posted a pic of what he thought was it - it was part of the AC compressor, and he could have been injured if he'd removed it.

The pipe I'm referring to is connected to the hose coming out of the bottom of the intercooler. I've already removed the hose, so if I can get it off, it should be fine. definitely not part of the ac system.

recremd 06-04-2012 03:54 PM

Is this it?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty sure that it's a little further towards the back than I was initially thinking. I've taken a picture of what I think might be it, but I wanted to check before doing anything (I don't want to do anything unnecessary in the Texas heat).

Anyways, this is a little further back, and excuse the close up nature of the picture. I've circled what I think might be the right bolt. On the bottom of the picture looks like 2 electrical connections being held together on the metal clamp in the lower right (and with a twist tie out of the picture). I'm assuming that if this is what I'm looking for, I can just remove the metal clamp holding these connectors in place and hopefully scoot them aside.

Does that sound right? Again, thanks for the help.