A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Thinking of an A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking of an A6 4.2

All - I've been an Audi owner on and off over the years. I find a vacillate back and forth between Porsche, Audi, and BMW - typically getting sucked into the idea of owning a 'bucket list' car.

My current bucket list car is a 2001 BMW 740i Sport Short - M sport package with short wheelbase. I picked it up from the original owner 3 years ago and have put 50k on it. I refreshed the shocks and have got all the maintenance back up to par. At 155k on the clock now, I think it might be time to move on. And I just found a 2000 Audi A6 4.2.

I've loved this cary since it came out. Fender flairs and a V8. What's not to love? I've done a fair amount of research and the only things that stand out as items to check seriously are the serpentine belt done at 75k and the health of the auto transmission. Is there anything else that I should be concerned about?

Like I said, I do most of my own work in the maintenance area. No, I'm not going to rebuild the transmission, but I'll swap the fluid and filters. I'll do brakes, thermostats, and other basic stuff. I say this, to say that I'm not afraid of the reviews on Edmunds.com from folks that scream about reliability. I know an Audi is not an Accord or Camry. I typically drive cars with a soul and with that comes a bit of effort and maintenance.

All that said - do any of you have any words of wisdom before I embark on this search/mission?

I seem to see cars out there with 100k on them for about $5k. Sounds fair as long as they aren't in disrepair with hidden grenades.

Many thanks,
Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Nothing to add. George pretty much nailed it.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn Boys! What you you guys driving? bummer of a dark cloud you cast!!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the timing belt service that is important every 70-80k miles(water pump, tensioner, pulleys). Serp belt is done then because you have to take it off to get to the timing belt. Make sure there are no hard shifts after the car is warmed up. Check for damp carpets. Rocking driver seat. If the intake manifold flap shafts are frozen in the bushings or the arms from the vacuum motors are snapped, the car has not been maintained.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aaronazevedo
Damn Boys! What you you guys driving? bummer of a dark cloud you cast!!
This is what is normally referred to as "Been there, done that." Not trying to be mean here just a heads up. More than one person has visited this forum with a long litany of regrets after blindly walking into one of these machines. As was iterated earlier, when they are right they are wonderful but when things are headed south, strap in for a bumpy ride. I sold my last Audi several months ago. I make a couple of cross-country trips a year. I was concerned about having a breakdown in an area with limited repair facilities and a dearth of what most would consider common parts (radiator hose, serpentine belt, etc). Didn't relish the idea of being stranded for several days waiting for a part. I am retired so cost of lodging when making these trips is always a concern, not to mention being at the mercy of a repair shop that I am unfamiliar with.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
It's the timing belt service that is important every 70-80k miles(water pump, tensioner, pulleys). Serp belt is done then because you have to take it off to get to the timing belt. Make sure there are no hard shifts after the car is warmed up. Check for damp carpets. Rocking driver seat. If the intake manifold flap shafts are frozen in the bushings or the arms from the vacuum motors are snapped, the car has not been maintained.
Many thanks. Super helpful. See boys, it isn't that hard to help a fellow car guy out, is it?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
This is what is normally referred to as "Been there, done that." Not trying to be mean here just a heads up. More than one person has visited this forum with a long litany of regrets after blindly walking into one of these machines. As was iterated earlier, when they are right they are wonderful but when things are headed south, strap in for a bumpy ride. I sold my last Audi several months ago. I make a couple of cross-country trips a year. I was concerned about having a breakdown in an area with limited repair facilities and a dearth of what most would consider common parts (radiator hose, serpentine belt, etc). Didn't relish the idea of being stranded for several days waiting for a part. I am retired so cost of lodging when making these trips is always a concern, not to mention being at the mercy of a repair shop that I am unfamiliar with.
Thanks Harley - the idea of my question is that I don't want to go into anything blind - hence my questions. I typically do most of my own work, but on the big stuff, I stop and need help. I've own a variety ofiantasic german machines, but all of them have their own personalities and items that need attention. I always do a pre-purchase inspection and was just looking for a f few "oh, you'd better have them check x or y".

Life is too short to eat vanilla cake and drive a Camry or Accord. Yes I've owned a few Accords in my day, so please no one take offense. They do serve a purpose, but driving excitement and driver engagement are NOT in the vocabulary.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
You know what, go ahead, buy one, then report back in a couple of years about your experience... I await your enlightment.
George - who peed in our cheerios this morning? What could I have possibly done to offend you so? I expect far more from a 'senior member'. I thought the whole idea of forums like this was to help other folks out.

Coming off my current ride (BMW 740i Sport) and the associated forum people are sharing tools, advice and, and even working on cars together. That that is from the group of '*sshole" drivers who typically get thought poorly of due to the logo on their car. Let's raise the bar on this forum and start to be a bit more helpful. It will serve us all better in the long run.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Aaron you come onto this site and criticize one of our more helpful members? Perhaps you should hang out here a while reading without judging until you know a bit more.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As clancy said there are many examples on the site of problems on these cars. What always amazes me is when people ask for opinions or advice about things (not just on this site) then get upset or angry when they get answers. There have been repeated cases on this site where a poster is obviously lost about what to do to fix a problem then when solutions are suggested, that original poster argues about the information. I guess the short answer is experience has shown that direct straightforward answers to a person's question is the best course. As to answer your question to george, I believe the urinater was you. He offered honest straightforward advice and you pretty much threw it back at him.

Quick Reply: Thinking of an A6 4.2