AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   For those with window regulator clip problems... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/those-window-regulator-clip-problems-1677629/)

technokid 10-27-2003 04:13 PM

For those with window regulator clip problems...

The reason I post this is because after numerous searching the forums, I couldn't find a post with the part number in it for just the clips.

The part number for the clips (Audi calls them plastic window mounts) is 4B0-837-463.

New vehivle limited warranty part numbers are:
6454 for the part identifier
6454510 180 TU is the labor operation.

Got this info from tech buletin, group 64, number 00-01.

The clips on my dad's 98 A6 aren't working as smoothly again, and from what I can tell on recent bumper recall work, they did the clips as well, but they are failing again. Going to see if they will refix it under the tech buletin again. If not, I will replace them myself.

PlainRuss 10-27-2003 05:08 PM

Re: For those with window regulator clip problems...

The window lift guides only get replaced on certain years under the recall. So not all got them. In any event, if you are going to do the work yourelf, I can give you a hint, it is possible to replace them without splitting the door apart per the instructions. If anything, you're better off. No trying to re-align everything when you're done and it goes real quick like. Good luck.

technokid 10-27-2003 06:40 PM

So you can do it without taking out the carrier? I would be interested in this, partly because I'm a bit worried about the dealers around here. I think there should be a tech article on this...I looked, but call me blind if there is one already.

TIA

The tech buletin that I have on the Bentley CD says that it was for A6 year 1998-> btw.

PlainRuss 10-28-2003 01:56 PM

Right the bulletin is for pretty much all years, the recall only covers the lift guides on certain years. If you are out of warranty tech bulletin's don't do you much good, but recall will be honored none the less. In any even, if you are covered under the recall, chances are any good tech is going to do it without pulling the window frame out. I believe it's a T27 or T25 torx bit, removed from it's holder, place it in a 1/4 inch ratcheting wrench, has to be small, and roll the window up halfway, you can then reach in there and get the screw out that holds them in. You need to push on the glass a bit to do it and make sure you don't let the cable smack the glass. Then just install in the reverse order. It's real hard to describe without physically showing you, but I have never pulled a window frame to do the lift guides. And between the tech bulletin and the recall. I have done plenty of them. Takes me less than 15 minutes that way and no worries about new wind noises or door closing issues. If you decide to pull the window frame out make sure you mark each bolt with white out or something and the shim, that will help you get it close to where you need to be.