A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

timing belt help ( c5 a6 4.2 )

Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only said i had done the tensioner to show that i am not a complete idiot. i figured if i could do the tensioner, then the belt would be easier haha.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im gonna pull the valve covers, it must be off a couple teeth.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That guy couldve just replaced the $20 shoes though haha instead of paying $1500 for the audi tensioners. oof
Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyway, i pulled driver side valve cover off and yup it's off only about 1 tooth on the upper cam. will pull passenger soon and see whats up with that one
assume i can just tighten sprockets back up, move them back a little bit and then pop belt on then tension it then tighten sprockets ?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Passenger side lines up 100%
Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok guys, looks like i will have to remove the upper cam on the drivers side because it is off one tooth.
the cam on the bottom is fine, lines up perfectly.
is the only way to fix this to remove the cam completely and manually re align it?
the cam that is off a tooth is the upper cam on the drivers side and it is NOT connected to the sprocket, that is the lower one so it can't be moved back with the sprocket.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might be able to do that with the tool inserted to compress the tensioner. but it'd be easier to pull it out. The part of that that sucks is those cam cap bolts are supposed to be single use only bolts.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Narlift
Ok guys, looks like i will have to remove the upper cam on the drivers side because it is off one tooth.
the cam on the bottom is fine, lines up perfectly.
is the only way to fix this to remove the cam completely and manually re align it?
the cam that is off a tooth is the upper cam on the drivers side and it is NOT connected to the sprocket, that is the lower one so it can't be moved back with the sprocket.
The right way to do it is to remove both cams and position them properly and reinstall them.
Why is it that you want to waste more time doing it wrong before doing it the right way?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know they are supposed to be 1 time use, but i am re using them , screw it. i have re used the passenger side ones a couple times now, we'll see. they're just bolts. they are all still nice and tight months later.
My pads are shot on driver tensioner, so pulling it is no big deal i guess--ill just throw new pads on while im at it.
no idea why i didnt just try and do it right the first time, but i really had no idea what i was doing.
good news is i def didnt bend any valves then since it was off only a tooth on one of the cams.
will pull the 2 drivers side cams ( since this is the only way to line the one cam back up i am assuming i cant just remove crank sensor and manually move it back with a ratchet ) and snake the tensioner out as i did on passenger side and re shoe it and throw new gaskets on then make sure came are lined up correctly and slap timing belt back on. with valve covers off it'll be easy too see if something slips out of time....
Old 08-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

also this motor has 245k and the oil light would always flash when driving, so i think it's pretty beat anyway, lobes look worn as well, so im keeping things cheap for now in case this motor doesnt work out..
Ill be removing the tensioner tonight or tmrw.
ordered 2 cam seals and the tensioner gaskets...cost me like 15 bucks shipped since i had a $11 FCP credit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing belt help ( c5 a6 4.2 )