AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Towing a pop up camper (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/towing-pop-up-camper-2900665/)

501D22G 05-17-2016 04:45 AM

Towing a pop up camper

I've searched and haven't found a definitive answer. I've seen/heard of people towing utility trailers, small boats, jetskis, etc. I tow a double jet ski trailer regularly. (Went 1800 miles round trip to the beach one summer). What about a small pop up camper? Anyone do this before? Something in the 1000 - 1500 lb range, on a class I hitch. 01 Avant.

Thanks.

georgeb944 05-17-2016 05:04 AM

Sure, go for it... Let us know how it works out for you.

Airbag 05-17-2016 10:00 AM

I don't think it would be an issue except for one thing. the transmission . they are weak to start off with . I am not sure if you can install an additional transmission cooler in these cars, but that would be my only concern. which motor ?

501D22G 05-17-2016 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Airbag (Post 24813137)
I don't think it would be an issue except for one thing. the transmission . they are weak to start off with . I am not sure if you can install an additional transmission cooler in these cars, but that would be my only concern. which motor ?

Airbag, thanks for your useful response. It has the 2.8L.

(C5 Avants prior to 2002 had no other engine option, from then on it was the 3.0L until the 3.2L).

As for your point, the transmission:

I'm not sure either if one can be installed; eTrailer does not list a T-cooler, but I'm going to look into a local indy trans shop installing a universal fit part.

Not sure if that's even necessary if I take my time accelerating with the trailer, but I'm unsure of the mechanics of transmission oil heating with loads vs w/out loads.

N_Jay 05-18-2016 11:23 AM

2 issues.

Accelerating is total load. Since the trans can hold the engine load prior to it ageing significantly, this should not be an issue.

Total heat load. Pulling a trailer adds additional load even when at a set speed. This shows up in increased heat which must be dissipated. Here is where a larger cooler helps.

Prospeeder 05-18-2016 11:45 AM

Well servicing the transmission more often would be a good idea. Adding a cooler would also be a good idea. You could add a cooler with some modification. If you see the rubber hoses going to the radiator, the upper one is the inlet, bottom is outlet. So you would take the inlet hose and cut the rubber section, and using barbed fittings and double clamps, go to the top hose on your new cooler, then have the bottom hose on your new cooler go back to the inlet you cut back to the radiator cooler, and that way the transmission still stays operating temp, but your cooler keeps it from overheating. Then you only have to modify one hose.

the_duke 05-18-2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Prospeeder (Post 24813577)
Well servicing the transmission more often would be a good idea. Adding a cooler would also be a good idea. You could add a cooler with some modification. If you see the rubber hoses going to the radiator, the upper one is the inlet, bottom is outlet. So you would take the inlet hose and cut the rubber section, and using barbed fittings and double clamps, go to the top hose on your new cooler, then have the bottom hose on your new cooler go back to the inlet you cut back to the radiator cooler, and that way the transmission still stays operating temp, but your cooler keeps it from overheating. Then you only have to modify one hose.

+1

If you go this route don't forget to top off the fluid as you'll be adding volume to the system. Torque converter clutch will probably be the first failure point as what you're doing is going to seriously stress it and it's the most common failure point. But many have driven 100k + miles with a failed converter clutch.

solardave 05-18-2016 05:36 PM

We've been towing our small pop-up camper for several years now with my wife's 99 A6 Avant without a problem. As long as you're not trying to hammer it at every stop light and up every hill you should be fine. We have over 225,000 miles on the car now... knock on wood.

501D22G 05-18-2016 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prospeeder (Post 24813577)

So this vehicle has the cooler (or heat exchanger) submerged in coolant inside the radiator? Or is it outside like the a/c condenser and power steering cooler?

Originally Posted by solardave
We've been towing our small pop-up camper for several years now with my wife's 99 A6 Avant without a problem. As long as you're not trying to hammer it at every stop light and up every hill you should be fine. We have over 225,000 miles on the car now... knock on wood.

Thank you for this feedback. Did you go with a transmission cooler? A local shop quoted me $70 plus 3 hours labor which was about $90/hr. Also, how is visibility around the trailer box with your mirrors? I think I'm dealing with 80" width on the camper box.

Eddie123 05-18-2016 09:25 PM

I am not sure what transmission you have in your vehicle, but I have the 2.4L, with a Multitronic gearbox.

Last year i towed my caravan, which is 1700KG (3747pounds) 550KM ( 350 miles) across Norway, which has some of the steepest and longest uphills and downhills in Norway. And except for a sligth overheat in the engine on the steepest part, I had no problem.

Really impressed with this car ;)