A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Problems Transmission in Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

you have to think that something else is wrong with that transmision with that kind of disintegration. Or the wrong fluid put in at som epoint ?
regardless , that is pretty damn amazing..

well i guess more shocking than amazing , shocked at the pics but amazed the car was still actually moving.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Dunno. But it sounds like a valve body removal and service is in order as well. I'm going to ask 4D4 what he thinks...
I think you have to play it by ear. In most cases, you'll see some residual in the pan, which is normal. In that case, I wouldn't touch anything other than the filter. If the pan is full of crap, maybe you need to dig a little deeper.

Great pick to show the "Don't ever change your fluid or you will ruin your transmission" crowd.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp MOde FIX

Ok so my 2004 Audi A4 went into limp mode.
1What DO I do scant for truble codes.
2.Find out its selanoid 3 code. SImple right ....NoT I dont replace a selanoid because it is a rooky move and I am no rooky mechanic.
3. I drop the pan change the fluid filter clean connections. No Respnse Still limp mode
4. Replace my TCU (with exact same number otherwise youd have to program it) and what you know problem fixed.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Erofreak
2.Find out its selanoid 3 code. SImple right ....NoT I dont replace a selanoid because it is a rooky move and I am no rooky mechanic.
3. I drop the pan change the fluid filter clean connections. No Respnse Still limp mode
4. Replace my TCU (with exact same number otherwise youd have to program it) and what you know problem fixed.
Rookie move is to NOT pull the valve body and disassemble and clean it…especially if the pan was filthy inside….
Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I think you have to play it by ear. In most cases, you'll see some residual in the pan, which is normal. In that case, I wouldn't touch anything other than the filter. If the pan is full of crap, maybe you need to dig a little deeper.

Great pick to show the "Don't ever change your fluid or you will ruin your transmission" crowd.
I agree..play it by ear. But it's nice to hear the valve body pull isn't that tough….I've pulled a dozen GM valve bodies and put in kits on everything from a 454 Caprice with a 454/390hp hydraulic (GM) cam in front of a turbohydramatic to 350 engines with turbohydramatics….as long as you either remember where the ***** are or have a diagram, piece of cake! And the results are well worth it, whether you go for a full manual valve body reprogram or just shift kit.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4

I was part of that crowd dammit

I have 400,00 on original fluid .. i think before i get this baby towed to the heap im gonna have a peak just for you guys
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensor was burned out as shown in picture, it needed to be replaced as well
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

From the pictures, which component is the sensor? Is this sensor in the valve body? If so, what does it look like?

Sorry, to jump in like this, but I'm having the same issue as yours in my 02' A6 4.2L I can start up the car and drive it around, but it will goes into limp mode within 20 or so minutes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jay
Old 08-02-2014, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jat007
Hi Guys,

From the pictures, which component is the sensor? Is this sensor in the valve body? If so, what does it look like?

Sorry, to jump in like this, but I'm having the same issue as yours in my 02' A6 4.2L I can start up the car and drive it around, but it will goes into limp mode within 20 or so minutes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jay
Here ya go:
https://forums.audiworld.com/a8-s8-d...ensor-1751220/
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-02-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Erofreak
Good for you…but an experienced mechanic might have removed solenoid 3 while the pan and filter was out to check the solenoid screen and/or test the solenoid. At that point he would know the solenoid wasn't plugged, the solenoid worked, and the problem was most likely in the TCU.
My dad used to say it's better to be lucky than good, but I prefer to say the harder (or smarter with today's computer stuff) I work the luckier I get….

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems Transmission in Limp Mode