A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Various engine questions

Old 02-13-2016, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various engine questions

Sorry for the vague title, but i'm involved in a project and we're looking towards VAG motors, mainly Audi V8 and V6's to use for an engine conversion.

V8 we have the handle on a bit more as I have a D2 with an ABZ sitting here, but there is a couple of things I'd like to know if anyone could help it would be great;

Dimensions (L x W X D) of a fully dressed BBJ/AVK 3L or the same for BES/AGB Fully dressed?

If I was wanting to use one of these engines in a project car with trans, I'm assuming ECU, TCU, Looms etc need to come with? .. Other option is a full standalone like a Haltech ECU

Lastly, ... is there an Audi/VAG 2WD Auto that will live with the 2.7 BiTurbo?

Thanks in Advance
Old 02-15-2016, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow no one?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 02-16-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Your questions are way out and confusing who knows what the engine dimensions are, try visiting a few junk yards with a measuring tape.

The only one I can answer is that the 2.7t FWD is a rare bird with a ZF trans and never was fitted with a multitronic CVT
How is asking dimensions of an engine "way out" and "confusing"? .. If there were any Audi wreckers locally dont you think I would have gone and measured?

I never asked about a CVT? and pretty sure that very Auto trans behind an Audi in god knows how long has been a ZF transmission, ZF5HP19FLA or similar for the 2.7TT motor ... lay off the crack pipe

BTW, don't bother putting a V8 in a V6 C5 body.....not going to fit or work.
Where did you get this idea from?

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Find another project.
Why? great help from a "tech guru"
Old 02-16-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lighten up! If you don't like the answers at least explain this project with some details instead of royally alienating yourself in the future on this forum.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lighten up! If you don't like the answers at least explain this project with some details instead of royally alienating yourself in the future on this forum.
What the project is has nothing to do with the simple questions I asked. Feel free to explain to me what it has to do with asking the dimensions, asking if there is a 2WD box that would handle the power from the BiTurbo, or even if anyone has run a Haltech or similar standalone? You could run a standalone ecu in a stock car if you wanted ... nothing has to do with the project itself.

You're the one who appears to see that asking for measurements, or asking about an auto trans is confusing
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow. Asking for help then going hostile over the answers? Especially with two of the more helpful people here. Maybe when you do not get the answers you want it might be your questions were vague or not clear or something on your part.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default measure twice...

Originally Posted by NonDescriptMotorist
What the project is has nothing to do with the simple questions I asked. Feel free to explain to me what it has to do with asking the dimensions, asking if there is a 2WD box that would handle the power from the BiTurbo, or even if anyone has run a Haltech or similar standalone? You could run a standalone ecu in a stock car if you wanted ... nothing has to do with the project itself.

You're the one who appears to see that asking for measurements, or asking about an auto trans is confusing
You should have spelled it out that way in the first place.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This thread don't measure up

Originally Posted by NonDescriptMotorist

You got a few simple answers for your vague simple questions;

Dimensions (L x W X D) of a fully dressed BBJ/AVK 3L or the same for BES/AGB Fully dressed?
Seems to me that one logical answer was presented unless a cad drawing is what you're looking for.

If I was wanting to use one of these engines in a project car with trans, I'm assuming ECU, TCU, Looms etc need to come with? .. Other option is a full standalone like a Haltech ECU
1)Yes you would need these items and controls for functional and economical
reasons.
2)I don't know, that's why I did not answer or comment.

Lastly, ... is there an Audi/VAG 2WD Auto that will live with the 2.7 BiTurbo?
If you mean Rear Wheel Drive instead of the known rare FWD 2.7's it would be extremely rare to find under the presumed question a "bolt on" VAG trans that basically don't exist.

What more do you want from this^^^^^?

Last edited by jcman; 02-16-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tall order.
Engine swaps used to be easy with almost everything from a common marque being nearly interchangeable.

Are you looking for a 2WD transmission (RWD) or a 2WD Transaxle (FWD)?
Betting the VW sand-rail guys and maybe some of the crazy VW van-conversions people may have a lot more information than here.

No harm in sharing the scope of your project. Some might find it interesting, and who knows you might get some good ideas.

Last edited by N_Jay; 02-16-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Search this Thread