AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   very hot front wheel (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/very-hot-front-wheel-2848769/)

get a6 to 14 years 09-02-2013 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=jseklund;24483351]

The hose between the hard pipe line and the caliper was replaced last year (both sizes were changed).The bracket that holds the caliper has not been changed.

Just Me 09-02-2013 02:54 PM

I pretty much agree with this. Adn then note:

These have been suggested before. The OP really needs to be very complete both communicating back what has and has not been done, and in his analysis.

I think we have a dragging caliper. Not sure why, but your comments are pretty reasonable.

Grant

Just Me 09-03-2013 04:28 AM

So the caliper and hose have been changed.

The ABS has been disconnected.

The caliper has been tested to slide (floating on guide pins) properly.

But it continues to grab, or not release.

And there is no noise nor pull, either static or under braking.

Correct?

Grant

jseklund 09-03-2013 02:03 PM

So, if it were me, I would do this....jack the front end off the ground and put it on 2 jack stands, engage the parking brake. If you grab the front tires at this point, they should both be off the ground, and you should be able to spin them by hand.

The car should be off and you should make sure both tires spin freely by hand. Listen for noises and places to inspect. Then have someone step on the brake. Watch the calipers - the movement is very slight but you should be able to see them or carefully feel them and tell if they are clamping. Once they've been pumped a few times, foot off the brake and try to spin each tire again. You may hear dragging, etc.

Since the car is off, I believe the ABS is eliminated and if the caliper is dragging it will be audible and will lock up the wheel entirely if it is bad enough.

If it still spins freely, try the pumping of the the brakes for a few more cycles and see if you can get the wheel to start to lock up. If you can't - then you are most likely looking at something else.

My next thought in this scenario is a bad wheel bearing. Put your hands at 6 and 12 and try to rock the wheel...if it moves, your bearing is going.

jseklund 09-03-2013 02:09 PM

I just re-read your first post. Another thing I would look at is the pads and the carrier bracket. The pads should slide freely on that bracket...it is tight, but if something interferes with them, it won't matter if the caliper backs off if the pads can't back off with it....so maybe a little dab of brake grease on the bracket may help?

Just Me 09-03-2013 02:37 PM

My very first comment ws "are the pads in the carrier straight and have not moved or jammed in any way". Its quite easy to get them in crooked and then they jam in place.

A wheel bearing bad enough to rock should sound like a jet airplane and is at the point of being terribly dangerous. Noisy ones still have zero play.

Grant

get a6 to 14 years 09-09-2013 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me (Post 24483861)
So the caliper and hose have been changed.

The ABS has been disconnected.

The caliper has been tested to slide (floating on guide pins) properly.

But it continues to grab, or not release.

And there is no noise nor pull, either static or under braking.

Correct?

Grant

On the issue of the caliper been tested to slide, I understand my garage has tested this. My wife in the past (she drives the car all the time) found at time the car would pull to the left also the cruise control turns off around once a trip and at lease five to ren minutes into the trip.

get a6 to 14 years 09-09-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me (Post 24484073)
My very first comment ws "are the pads in the carrier straight and have not moved or jammed in any way". Its quite easy to get them in crooked and then they jam in place.

A wheel bearing bad enough to rock should sound like a jet airplane and is at the point of being terribly dangerous. Noisy ones still have zero play.

Grant

I will check the free play on the pads over the next few days.As the car is over ten years old it has to go for a NCT test every year. This is quite a tough test and two years ago they told me of a bearing that will need replacing shortly.It sounded OK but started to whin six weeks later, I know as I had a mkIII golf van and I had a whining bearing for three weeks so we know that one, thanks.