A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

WASHER FLUID

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000, 08:02 AM
MPB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WASHER FLUID

My 2.7T's washer reservoir has the scent of rubbing alcohol in it. Is this normal? If so, what am I suppose to refill it with? Is it a mixture because it smells like one to me. Or do I have to go to Audi for a "special" washer mix.
Please advise
Old 06-09-2000, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WASHER FLUID

Audis come with a pungent windshield washer fluid. I flushed mine out and filled it with regular blue washer fluid that works better (no streaking) and doesn't stink up my interior when I use it. The pump is on the forward part of the resevoir (nearest the bumper). If you pull this off (it's very easy to slide back in) while your washer reservoir is open it is very easy to drain. I then flushed it with a hose and filled it with regular windshield washer fluid.
Old 06-09-2000, 08:18 AM

It's mostly isopropyl alcohol.

Sold by a lot of dealers, 'Lave Glace' is a French product (at least my jugs are) that appears to be largely isopropyl alcohol, some ammonia, and a surfactant.

In MD it sells for about $10 a half-gallon, you dilute it 50/50 for summer and use it full strength in the winter?

I left a mostly empty jug open on the floor in the office and a day or so later smelled it...yup, ammonia.

So I looked all over the web without much luck on what the stuff is composed of and just decided to shoot from the hip (not that MOI would ever be accused of that on this forum!!) I use a couple pints of 90% isopropyl alcohol with maybe a half cup of ammonia and a tablespoon or so of Simple Green. Put it in the empty Lave Glace jug and save it for when the #$%@#$% w/s washer icon chimes enough to drive wifey nuts and then mix the jug 50/50 with water and pour it in the car.

Seems to work (OK, it smells the same and cleans the windshield as well and hasn't rotted out the pump or nozzles!) as well as the stock stuff for less than half the price...even less if you dilute it.

I tried putting it in the freezer in the basement and it didn't freeze at -10F. Further down and I'll just have to wait until this winter.<p>John.Binford@DTRA.MIL
Old 06-09-2000, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes; Your Choice; Yes it is a mixture; and no you do not have to go to Audi

Hi:

You will probably get several responses on this one. Audi ships the vehicles with an alcohol or a derivitive which is diluted somewhat during the PDI. Depending on the dilution of the mix you will get either an extremely pungent odor of alcohol or a not so strong odor. Either is o.k..

You can get replacement fluid from most dealer parts departments but it is pricey. I use Prestone (yellow) in the winter and am using Prestone Bug & Tar for spring, summer, and fall. This also has an odor of alcohol because there is a derivitive in the mix.

Your car is fine. I personally think the Prestone works fine but that is just a personal opinion (it is also slightly more expensive). Some people will only use the Audi supplied fluid.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Old 06-09-2000, 10:12 AM
MPB

Thanks everyone for their input on this subject!
Old 06-09-2000, 10:40 AM

Default Here's what to do

Buy a turkey baster. Empty the reservoir about halfway. Refill with plain water. Discard basted-out liquid in an ecological manner.
Old 06-09-2000, 05:27 PM

I like that smell...kind of like a gin&tonic.
Old 06-09-2000, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It is a alcohol based fluid - doesn't foam when sprayed like the other stuff

A huge no-no when doing 120mph+ ;-)