A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Water Pump & Timing Belt Replacement Estimates

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump & Timing Belt Replacement Estimates

So I've gotten, so far, quotes from three different places (here in the San Jose area) on replacing the water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioners, pulleys, thermostat, etc. on my 2000 A6 4.2L and they're not terribly far apart from one-another: From about $1950-2200 for parts and labor.

Labor time estimates range from about 9 hours up to 12.

I seem to recall, through searches, that folks were paying only around up to $1500 for this sort of job, but it would seem that I'm looking at around $2000 + tax, any way I cut it. According to one of the service guys at Stevens Creek Audi, the 4.2L makes the job more difficult and expensive.

Anyway, I'm now just going to mull over whether or not I want to keep the car and make all the repairs, or maybe sell the thing as-is, with full disclosure as to the water pump leak and t-belt service interval.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Here in Atlanta, Ga its around $1500 with Labor, does it depend on the area?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Default It's probably going to depend on the area to some extent...

...after all, with our insane-o real estate prices here in the Bay Area, everything becomes more expensive.

The quotes I'm getting are not too far from 50/50 insofar as parts/service go. So there's ample room to drop close to $1500 if the service rates are lowered dramatically.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I oughta just post to the NorCal forum to see if anyone has shop suggestions or recent pricing info...
Old 06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I purchased the complete kit from ECS tuning and my local guy did it for $575. So, ~$825 total. CT
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What's in the kit? Can it be used second/multiple time(s)? Got the link? Thanks In Advance
Old 06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Multiple use? No . . Kits include one time use parts . . They normally include . .

Kits normally include the timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, idler pulley and gaskets for pump and cams.

As for multiple time use, uh . . NO . . Not unless you're planning to put a timing belt/tensioner/water pump you suspected may break at any moment into another vehicle.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$1500 is about right...more if you're going to a dealer.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do it for $1500 (parts + labor) on the 4.2. But I'm not local to you...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, now, if i'm replacing my timing belt...

(first of all: I'm not very familiar with all that kind of stuff - Tuning of the engine)
Ok, now, if i'm replacing my timing belt...
...and everything else(WPump, BTensioner, idler pulley and gaskets, etc...). Can i put some perfomance parts in there while on the way(while my workshop takes everything apart)? I mean, since he would take almost half of the front off, can (me - buy)he put some more "Expensive"(to get better perfomance) parts, like the pulley, maybe some S4/RS4 intercoolers, spark plugs, wires..? Not neccessary more expensive, just better or equal quality and BETTER perfomance-wise...

Thank You In Advance
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Anyone got a direct link...?

Couldn't find a page with a complete kit on ECSTuning.com -- only individual parts. Wondering:
- Are ECS's parts considered better than OEM?
- What about the serpentine belt?

After looking closely at all this, I can now see why this mechanic gave me such a high estimate. Take a look at the parts that are quoted:
Coolant Reservoir
Coolant Reservoir Cap
Thermostat
Thermostat Gasket
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Idler Pulley
Idler Pulley
Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
Water Pump
Tensioner Lever
Front Crank Seal
Camshaft Seal
Serpentine Belt
Valve Cover Gasket

All those total up to about $1100. First of all, he's marking up something like 50% above retail type prices. Secondly, it looks like they're throwing in everything including the kitchen sink -- replace the coolant reservoir? If there's a leak, sure, but if not, what's the point?

Quick Reply: Water Pump & Timing Belt Replacement Estimates