A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What code means...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What code means...

I borrowed a code reader/resetter because my CEL came on. It doesn't give P...codes, but a 4 digit code and a manual that tells you what the code means. It's supposedly Audi/VW specific. Anyway...the codes (two) mean Bank1 (and Bank 2) Mixture adaption (add.) System too lean. I looked in my Bentleys manual and can find no codes that match this one. It's a 2001 A6 2.7T. I changed the fuel filter, thinking lean means too little fuel, but the same two codes keep coming back. Car runs great, but I have a smog test coming up and a CEL is an automatic fail. I know I'll get all kinds of responses about buying a Vag Com, but times are kinda tight right now, so that's not an option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by meternerd; 07-09-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Diverter valves functioning?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Diverter valves functioning?
You nailed it. Vacuum leak. Cracked fitting. I epoxied it for a fix, because I have no idea what it is, an it looks like a bear to remove. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I haven't tried it yet, but it was making a pretty loud hissing noise at idle, so I'm betting that's the fix.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Check valve. I'd replace that.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by meternerd
You nailed it. Vacuum leak. Cracked fitting. I epoxied it for a fix, because I have no idea what it is, an it looks like a bear to remove. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I haven't tried it yet, but it was making a pretty loud hissing noise at idle, so I'm betting that's the fix.
Heck...if the epoxy works, leave it. You'll need to clip those OEM clamps to get it out, much less remove stuff in the way...and risk breaking other plastic bits and discover leaking vacuum hoses on the way in....but hang in there...leaking hoses happen.

Unless you get a handful of OEM crimp clamps (available from your local audi dealer, make sure you get the right diameter ones as well as a crimp tool..similar to a pliers used on CVJ boots...if you don't have one you should anyway for CVJ boots...) you'll be crowded in there with worm drive clamps.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Heck...if the epoxy works, leave it. You'll need to clip those OEM clamps to get it out, much less remove stuff in the way...and risk breaking other plastic bits and discover leaking vacuum hoses on the way in....but hang in there...leaking hoses happen.

Unless you get a handful of OEM crimp clamps (available from your local audi dealer, make sure you get the right diameter ones as well as a crimp tool..similar to a pliers used on CVJ boots...if you don't have one you should anyway for CVJ boots...) you'll be crowded in there with worm drive clamps.
Well, my wifey took it on a long ride around Lake Tahoe today and no CEL. Runs perfect, so I figure it works, so I'll leave it as is. "If it ain't broke....fix it 'till it is!" Naw!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Check valve. I'd replace that.
This was posted quite a while ago, but right on. The epoxy did not hold. I have a new valve on order. Apparently they have upgraded the part, because the new part number is different. Pictures look identical to mine, though.

Symptoms were..MIL (same codes as before), engine missing and a "clunking sound" coming up our big hill by home. Symptom was by way of my wifey. I suspect the missing engine caused the tranny to make a noise. I hope!

Part is kinda scarce, so I had to order it out of Virginia. If I plug the vacuum line from the motor, could I drive it without damaging anything? It's the only car we have with air conditioning, and it's HOT!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by meternerd
This was posted quite a while ago, but right on. The epoxy did not hold. I have a new valve on order. Apparently they have upgraded the part, because the new part number is different. Pictures look identical to mine, though.

Symptoms were..MIL (same codes as before), engine missing and a "clunking sound" coming up our big hill by home. Symptom was by way of my wifey. I suspect the missing engine caused the tranny to make a noise. I hope!

Part is kinda scarce, so I had to order it out of Virginia. If I plug the vacuum line from the motor, could I drive it without damaging anything? It's the only car we have with air conditioning, and it's HOT!
So clean it up again and use epoxy. I like JBWeld. You might also wrap it in metal duct tape. At least until your new part comes in.