A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What to expect on your " new" Audi ( 2.8)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Default What to expect on your " new" Audi ( 2.8)

As we get a lot of this I will just post what I did on my "new" Audi with 350,000km on it as it will give prospective buyers a guide as to what to expect.

Brakes...
Replaced 4 discs, 4 sets of pads, 4 flexible lines and a master cylinder also used a tin of ATE super blue and rebuilt the two front calipers.

Suspension ..
The front control arms had just previously been replaced aong with new CV joints up front.
Replaced front strut shocks for 102 a piece with sachs OEM super touring

Engine
Replaced timing belt acc belt, water pump , stat, tensioner roller , idler pulley, tensioner arm and hydraulic tensioner body. Also replaced cam front seals, rear plugs and tensioner gaskets, also replaced VC gaskets and fuel filter, air filter and plugs. Replaced all vacuum lines rubber and plastic

Misc

Replaced headlight washer pump, window regulator guides, 4 speakers. drivers door window switch assm due to busted rear lockout , rear trunk struts. repaired switch on drivers latch for "door open". Repaired seizing wiper linkage up front.While in their replaced cabin filter. Polished headlights an touched up paint delamination ( this part was dissapointing as my Audi 90 is in perfect shape with paint )

Car currently in for Warranty rust repair .. front drivers fender being replaced along with front drivers door. hey I jusy wanted the fender but good on Audi

Everything here i would say is typical and nothing out of the ordinary .

projects I still have to do:

The LCD display and possibly the rear struts . They feel fine but are getting on bit. I need to replace the oil temp sender which i have , just waiting for the next oil change. I have a stain on the headliner at rear passanger side .. suspect a drain tube cracked but not sure how to get in their yet. I very intermitently get SAI code and always on both banks at the same time, so i think my SAI pump isn't starting so one of those may be in the near future, not a big deal though , just a bit of a pain to get to on the 2.8 .

Still need to change the transmision fluid and filter, as well as rear diff gear oil.

Summary

A payed 1,000 dollars for the car, have about a thousand dollars in parts into it , my own labour so I am pleased with the results. I think a nicely sorted A6 with all the maintanance up to snuff for 2G is not to bad.

Happy motoring

Last edited by Airbag; 11-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. i have a 2K A6Q 2.8L and replacing my water pump was no joke, awesome sense of accomplishment after completing though.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag

Car currently in for Warranty rust repair .. front drivers fender being replaced along with front drivers door. hey I jusy wanted the fender but good on Audi
I know it was posted 2 years ago. But overall how's warranty works on audi body. Is it lifetime or limited? I do have rusts spots on my roof. My car is 2001. Will this be covered or I'm just dreaming high haha
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I remember correctly, my A6 has a 12-year Rust perforation warranty.

So what this means is that it will cover rust that goes THROUGH the body work, from one side to the other. NOT rust spots, only perforation.

So, unless your roof has a hole in it not too much you can do.