A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is there any reason (other than $) to choose H&R Coilovers over Bilstein PSS9's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any reason (other than $) to choose H&R Coilovers over Bilstein PSS9's?

Am I going overboard with either choice? I am basically looking to eliminate wheel gap and have the most comfortable ride possible.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:13 AM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Both are overkill / the wrong route if that's all you want...

If all you want is to lower the car but maintain the maximum comfort, just get some new springs and be done with it. Going coilovers will give you a harsher ride, or be extreme overkill on the wallet, or a combination of the two.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just new springs is not what you want especially if you have the non-sport suspension

Get Bilstein or Koni shocks and Vogtland springs from PureMS.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:12 AM
Fear the Miata!

Default the ride i have with the h&r's is not bad....if you're looking to mind the gap then get a

shock/spring setup....see if you can find a sport suspension from someone....pss9's or co's will be a bit much....
Old 12-10-2006, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No experience with either on C5. But here's some info.

If you just want to lower the car, you have a few things to balance:

1.) A lower ride height with the SAME spring perch location absolutely requires a stiffer spring to avoid bottoming out. This wll obviously hurt your ride.

2.) Any coilover has an adjustable spring lower perch. This menas you can retain the SAME travel - and thus the same pring rates (in theory). Unfortunately, most coilovers are stiffer, too.

3.) But many are also progressively wound. You want to find out what the initial (softer) and progressed spring rates are. Pick the lower initial rate for softest ride.

4.) In general, if you chaneg springs, you should also change shocks. Two reasons>>> a) need to match damping rate to spring rate, and b) need to match spring travel to shock piston travel.

Unfortunayely, I have no idea whcih of thsoe choices best matches your desire.

Good luck, and post back what you learn.

Grant
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

None that I know of.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Been looking for a Sport Suspension for months, cannot wait forever. More than PSS9's if new.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Fear the Miata!

that's why i did the co's....pss9's were relatively new and no one had them on their a6 at that time
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default A number of people have gone with the Eibach pro-kit on stock (not even sport) o.e. suspension...

And have been very happy with it. I've had a few laps in an "old and slow" A6 with stock suspension + eibach springs and h-sports at Streets of Willow (i.e. no straights, all turns), and it was great. Car had K04's and tuning to boot. The argument that the spring rates aren't matched to the shock valving, etc. are, for most, likely to be more theoretical than practically noticable in real-world driving environments. The spring-equipped cars I've driven / ridden in all seemed to perform well, even on track under demanding circumstances.

Anyhow, a search for eibach springs or eibach pro kit will turn up at least 3 or 4 users who are happy with the setup on the first few pages of results.

Buff Daddy wrote that he wanted to "eliminate wheel gap and have the most comfortable ride possible." Throwing some springs on the stock suspension is going to do that for him. Sure he could spend a few more bucks and get new dampers as well (he's going to have to pull the whole suspension, regardless), but if he simply wants to do is drop his car and give it "the most comfortable ride possible," he's going to have a hard time finding a better alternative that's not "overkill" on the wallet, on the one hand, or "overkill" on the butt, on the other.

Based on what he wrote, I'd bet cash money that he won't be happy with H&R coilovers (with a significant penalty to ride comfort), and to shell out for PSS9's just to lower the car would be silly.

Anyhow, just my typical longwinded way of saying that I disagree, and think that new springs, and possibly some bars, might be exactly what he wants.

Never driven a koni / vogtland combo, but if you're saying it's more comfortable than the stock (not even sport!) suspension, than that sounds like it could be a great option as well.

R.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 AM
Rest In Peace

Default running stock shocks with stiffer lower springs will make them wear out quickly>

but it might ride nicely until then.

The smartest thing is to replace both springs & shocks with a matched set.

Many adjustable coilovers are overkill, but they do match the spring to the damper.

Eibach pro-kit spring/damper is a good pairing.
Eibach pro-kit springs with stock dampers will work for a while, but you'll end up replacing the dampers to rid the car of the bounce it will develop when the dampers wear out.

Quick Reply: Is there any reason (other than $) to choose H&R Coilovers over Bilstein PSS9's?