A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

whats the advantage of biger wheels, from 16 to 18 for example

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "old farts" = people who have seen enough "bent rim" posts to get that bling has it's price. 8^)

That said, the points Cargasm makes are good ones.

The "more road feel" point is a plus but, when carried to extreme with really big wheels, quickly turns into a ride that is harsh.

"Larger contact patch" is a function of width, not diameter. As such, a 17x8" wheel will give you the same advantage here as an 18x8" wheel. Going wider is definitely an important part of your upgrade, no matter which diameter you choose.

"Better looks" is a subjective thing. I am not a fan of the rubber band look so I think 19" wheels on a C5 looks too extreme. There are some wheels that pull this off better than others, but at 19" I think it's tough to not subtract from the understated elegance of the C5.

The improvement I most noticed when I upgrade my wheels (from 16x7 to 17x8) was improved turn in. This is the responsiveness of the car to input from the steering wheel. The lower profile of the tires means that there is less tire flex when you turn the wheel. "More responsive" is the bottom line here.

If you're go 18" or greater, be prepared to spend some big bucks. The only way of offsetting the increased weight and higher risk of a bent rim is to buy GOOD wheels. Strong <i>and</i> light costs more. You'll also have to pay more for lower profile tires so that also drives up cost as you go up in size.

Final note... lower profile tires also require more vigilant attention to maintaining proper tire pressure. A very low profile tire that does not have the right air in it is MUCH more likely to get bent should you hit a good pothole. Something to keep in mind before AND after you make your decision.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Fear the Miata!

agreed....
Old 12-09-2006, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Additionally, the firmer ride and greater "feedback" of larger wheels are a to a large degree

the result of shorter sidewalls, not the larger wheel itself. The best and detailed feedback comes from the lightest wheels and tires, since they offer the least inertia to filter out feedback. A heavier wheel/tire combo damps feedback, so only the larger inputs are felt.

Then there is the inertia when steering the wheel (sure the larger contact will help once it's turned, but initial turn-in is slower), the engine power required accelerate the heavier wheel, the brakes that must halt the wheel, and the suspension that must control the bouncing of the wheel. All are degraded by heavier wheels/tires. It's like you wearing heavy duty hiking boots vs running shoes.

Then again it's not just the weight of the wheel out on the rim, but tires aren't light either, so that larger tire is usually heavier as well. Then there is the expense of those tires.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree as well...

and I'm 25 years old going on 12, or 50, depending on the moment...haha. and by good larger wheels costing more, we're talking in the 400+ per wheel price range, without tires.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Didn't the original question ask about going from 16's to 18's?

Whether or not the ride can become "harsh" with 18's will depend more on the suspension set-up than the wheel size. If someone finds 18's on ANY of the stock suspensions to be unbearable, the "old fart" theory becomes solidified (health issues aside)and the next stop should be the local Lincoln or Lexus dealer.

As for the "contact patch", again, the question was about going from 16's to 18's. It would be very tough to find a 16" wheel for this car w/a 8" width. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing one.

When it comes to the aesthetics, nobody can argue one way or another, it is simply too subjective. I feel an 18" provides plenty of sidewall and is far from a "rubber band" look, but that's nothing more than my opinion.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

The Fuchs urS wheels are 16 x 8 and bolt right on.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Amen.

I wonder how many people with 18s drive around with a perpetual shimmy -- and no steering feel. I see enough ebnt ones!

Grant
Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a set of 16 x 8 x -35mm on my S6 right now. QED.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Brake clearance may be the best technical answer out there.

Large calipers simply require larger rims.

Ideally, I like the balance of 17 x 8 on my S6. But for winter, and often for lousy NJ roads, my 16 x 8 rims with slightly oversized tirees gives me lots of advantages:

- better ride
- pothole resistance
- cheaper tires

Keep in mind also that many people who go "=1" go from soft all-season tires (such as audi ships) to high performance tires. Of course they say "wow". Put the same V or W rated tires on your 16s and you might say "wow" too.

Nothing against larger wheels, but they probably wont stay round for long, if you live where I do, and drive where I do.

Grant
Old 12-09-2006, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup. Key phrase is "for example..."

I took that to mean that the inquiry was about plus sizing in general, not just +2.

I think we're in agreement on the main points here...

As I also noted, suspension choice certainly affects ride quality as much or more than wheel size. That said, I've had plenty of conversations with performance minded people who own 18s and say be happy to have a softer ride. This doesn't mean that they find the ride of an 18 inch wheel <i>"unbearable"</i> - merely that they see the gentler ride of a 17 inch wheel as <i>one</i> of multiple advantages (lower weight, performance, resistance to damage, etc.). Saying that these people should be sent to a Lincoln dealership is just silly.

Agreed that upgrading from a 16x7" wheel to a 16x8" might not be the best way to spend your money, but I think it's important to note that the benefits of a wider patch aren't necessarily tired to diameter. Lots of happy 17x8" people out there.

Finally, I totally agree that the aestetic aspect of the dialog "is simply too subjective" to ever be settled. To each his/her own.

Quick Reply: whats the advantage of biger wheels, from 16 to 18 for example