A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Where is the 3.0 crank position sensor? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the 3.0 crank position sensor? Help!

Mine has been intermittent for awhile but finally went south this week. I've got the coolant tank out and have pulled coil pack harness and some other bits out of the way to look down in the engine area there. I have a replacement sensor with a white connector. I think I've found where on the firewall it plugs in and I see what looks to be the sensor way down on the top of the bell housing. Problem is if I have figured out both "ends" then the sensor I have has too short of a lead AND I have no clue how I'll actually get the sensor removed from the car to replace. There is simply no room or access down there.

Replacement sensor is FAE, not Bosch, but the part#s did correspond.

This is the first time I've really dug into this engine bay. Very scary. I'll be fine with brakes/suspension but I'm afraid for the first time in my life someone else is going to have to do the work on this car.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Does anyone ever use Google anymore? or STFA?

A VERY short search yields:

easy job, its on the driver side of the transmission bellhoising right above the driver side axle on the transmission. 1 10mm bolt and it comes out, the connector is on the junction behind the coolant resivour.

Although that sounds like a vehicle speed sensor to me....but STFA and this is what comes up.
Look at your new part and see if it is similar to the part on the bell housing.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Does anyone ever use Google anymore? or STFA?

A VERY short search yields:

easy job, its on the driver side of the transmission bellhoising right above the driver side axle on the transmission. 1 10mm bolt and it comes out, the connector is on the junction behind the coolant resivour.

Although that sounds like a vehicle speed sensor to me....but STFA and this is what comes up.
Look at your new part and see if it is similar to the part on the bell housing.
lol. I searched extensively and almost always do before I post. Found nada. So my intentions were good, but my search skills sucked.

As for very easy - BS! The connector is hard to get to, the harness is hard to get to and I see no way to get to the sensor itself without sticking a little gnome down there and letting him do it!

I had gotten the part from a local old time foreign car parts store. Luckily since I had bought my sensor they had gotten the Bosch sensor in. Part numbers matched, length was different. So I've got the right part now anyway.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's done. pulled the wheel and was able to reach through and get it. All in all it was very very tight. But it's done and no codes so far.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you just brute force the top? Having the same issue with mine now and can't seem to get the grey connector out of the housing. Seems like there's a heat protector sleeve that's also holding the cable that I don't know how I'm going to slip that behind the engine.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default hopefully this helps