A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

WHY? Adjusting A6 Brake Light Sensitivity (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 09:43 AM
OOO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY? Adjusting A6 Brake Light Sensitivity (Long)

OKAY, first off, the index page that reads "Adjusting A6 Brake Sensitivity" is wrong. The tech page tells you how to adjust the BRAKE LIGHT sensitivity, not the BRAKE sensitivity. BIG Difference!

okay. now. it reads, ".. If your pedal has ANY significant travel required to accomplish this (like more than 1/4") this is probably for you. "

well, let me ask you guys:
1) do you feel the pedal travel in your audi is excessive for the brake to accentuate?
2) do you think during the dead travel, the braking system is not really slowing down your audi at all?
3) if it is depressed and not braking, should you be worried about you can not slowing down, and also cars coming behind?

yes, the brake light mod will let drivers behind you seeing you putting your foot on the brake pedal and identifying your car, but you are not slowing down at all.

i agree that there should be some play to the pedal travel, (to accomodate various habits or prematurely shutting off the cruise control or something...) but many other drivers tried audi's and said that the A6 has too much dead travel. some said it is almost 1/4 or 1/3 of the pedal down before the brake is doing anything. if u have driven a porsche or something with a good braking system you know what i mean. no ***** footing on the brake pedal for 1/4 of the travel.

for someone who is not used to this weird, non-liner setup, this is just dangerous. yes, you can say the same for cars whose clutch and gas pedal has different sensitivity. but, if someone brings up this topic and says that the brake light doesn't light up early enough, i would just say the brake doesn't accentuate early enough. period.

if i were to adjust, it will be the Brake Sensitivity all together. adjusting the brake light sensitivity does not correct this inherent problem.

i appreciate the original posters for their efforts in identifying the problem, but if u can, please advise how to adjust BRAKE SENSITIVITY althogether.

btw, i feel that there is a strange clicking noise with depressing the brake that somehow relates to releasing the lock on the tiptronic shifting into N. there is similar travel from depressing to hearing this noise to unlocking the shift gate to R or D from N. anyone has this experience as well?
Old 04-09-2001, 10:09 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy now

Some do feel that they start to slow down before their brake lights come on. This is clearly wrong. This is why the article was written. You say why should your brake lights come on before you start to slow, well, that's how pretty much every car works, right or wrong. I guess that is why people desire this.

As to it being titled wrong, that's audiworld's fault.

Finally, the clicking is the solenoid that runs the shift lockout. Don't worry about it.

Adjusting your brake actuation point would be a lot tougher.