A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Windshield Needs Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Needs Replaced

After being our of town for 4 days, we came home to discover that the windshield on our A6 quatrro wagon was broken while we were gone. Majorly cracked with 2 or 3 epicenters. Anyone have ideas on who would be a could company to repair it? We're never going to use Safelight again after our last experience with them, when a chip repair turned into a windshield replacement.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

I have had pretty good luck with Safelite, although I have never had them repair a windshield, only replace them. Since I have full glass coverage on my insurance, it's a no-brainer.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Call your dealer and ask who they use.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

You don't list your location but you could also check with some local independent repair shops that have Audi experience. Also check your local glass shops. There are a lot of variations when it comes to Audi windshields and you should make sure they know what they are doing. Ask for references. Safelite isn't bad as a general rule. Also most reputable glass companies allow you the option of an OEM windshield. It will usually have thicker glass than a generic aftermarket unit. (That will obviously cost more but worth it if you live in an area where windshield issues are more common. Wyoming is a good example as they use sand on winter roads as opposed to salting. Lots more chips and cracks.)

Last edited by Harleyguy; 04-02-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Full glass coverage? We need that. My husband's cars are always getting chips in the windshield. He called to have a chip repaired by Safelite. The guy came out and said something like, "I don't know if it will take the repair or not it might break it" "Do you want me to test it?" Husband said, "Yeah, sure." Dude took out a screwdriver and before hubby could protest, stuck it really hard into the chip, cracking the windshield" What kind of a "test" was that? Of course shoving a philips head screwdriver into an existing chip is going to crack the windshield! We likely will die in hell before we will ever call Safelite again.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
You don't list your location but you could also check with some local independent repair shops that have Audi experience. Also check your local glass shops. There are a lot of variations when it comes to Audi windshields and you should make sure they know what they are doing. Ask for references. Safelite isn't bad as a general rule. Also most reputable glass companies allow you the option of an OEM windshield. It will usually have thicker glass than a generic aftermarket unit. (That will obviously cost more but worth it if you live in an area where windshield issues are more common. Wyoming is a good example as they use sand on winter roads as opposed to salting. Lots more chips and cracks.)
We called "local" Audi dealer and they said they just call whomever, like Safelite or some other chain. :/
So I would just ask if they have any references from Audi owners? That seems a little odd to me. I don't think hubby would ever do it. lol
Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're in Maryland I can pretty much guarantee there are independent auto glass shops nearby. There are other sources besides the dealer. I know people don't use phone books anymore, but local yellow pages should have several auto glass listing including companies that will do the job in your driveway or at your work location. And yes, you can ask for references for auto repair work. It is common particularly from independent repair shops. As to the chip "test" from your previous experience, the technician was dishonest and a crook. A chip repair is normally a small profit for the glass company, like maybe $50. They earn a couple of hundred on a windshield replacement, so why do you think he punched it with a screwdriver? He knew ahead of time that a crack would run so badly that the glass would need replacement. You should have called Safelite immediately and filed a complaint. If it was an insurance claim, you should have called them and complained. Of course if you don't want to find a source yourself you can always just take it to the dealer and let them take care of it.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, no phone books in this house. lol Used to live in CA - have you seen the phone books there? Encyclopedic. 2 for white and 2 for yellow
You're right, that guy was a crook! Never thought to report him.
One independent guy who was supposed to come out to the house left us hanging for over and week. My husband called the night before he was supposed to come to make sure he had the windshield, since the guy had canceled before on the premise that it wasn't in yet. Hubby took the day off work. At 10:30 the morning he was supposed to come he contacted him to say he didn't have the windshield.
He ended up driving it about 50 minutes up the road to the nearest shop, holding his breath the whole time.
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you don't have phone books, use Google to find auto glass shops in your area. I just did it and there are several in your area. Copy and Paste is not in my job description.