A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Winter tires in summer... real story? old question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tires in summer... real story? old question?

ok, sorry if old question. I did search first and saw mostly "summer tires in winter" posts... Posted this on the tires forum, but not a lot of views over there...

I just bought a 99 A6 Avant that came with Mastercraft Glacier Grips... they have reasonable thread left... could see them getting us thru next winter for sure... we live in Front Range Colorado, not really much snow down here, but monthly trips to the hills...

Question: are there safety issues using these winter tires during the hot summer??? If so, then I'll get out of them now, if not I'll let 'em ride...

Looking for some decent all season tires that can handle occasional snow... recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2003, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No there are no safety issues as long as you stay below the speed rating.

Snow tires are usually rated a lot slower than all-season or summer tires.

The other thing to keep in mind is that they are going to wear FAST in warm weather.

No recommendations on the all-season - sorry.

Hope that helps,

-st
Old 06-29-2003, 05:56 AM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would not run snow tires in the summer....

As ST said, no safety issues as long as you abide by the speed rating, but snow tires wear quickly, and handle very poorly. Put some good tires on your car and it will feel like a totally different car. My recommendation for good all season performance tire (H-rated) is the Dunlop SP Sport A2. I put these on my wife's Avant in January, and they are great. Excellent wet and very good snow traction. They were also rated by Consumer Reports as best all season performance tire in November 2002.
Here is a link about the tires:<ul><li><a href="http://tires2.digiknow.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Sport+A2&amp;mrktarea=Pe rformance">Dunlop SP Sport A2 info</a></li></ul>