A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

009220 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit: Implausible Signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally resolved my P2404 code. Pictured is a portion of a small plastic tube that runs from the intake manifold down toward the dipstick and connects to a rubber hose on the left side of the engine. When I went to remove the tube it cracked off easily. So I am assuming that the crack created a vacuum leak that tripped the code. So happy. Hope this helps someone else in the future.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for future reference, posting the Ross-tech wiki link in case another forum member runs into the same problem:

18836/P2404/009220 - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by occhis
I finally resolved my P2404 code. Pictured is a portion of a small plastic tube that runs from the intake manifold down toward the dipstick and connects to a rubber hose on the left side of the engine. When I went to remove the tube it cracked off easily. So I am assuming that the crack created a vacuum leak that tripped the code. So happy. Hope this helps someone else in the future.
Do you happen to know the OE part # for this tube? We did a smoke test and no leaks from this tube, but will re-inspect. Seems like a very brittle piece that should be replaced anyways over time.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sent you a PM. But for everyone else, here is the part I used:
N0203535 - Vacuum Hose - One Meter - ES#2593921
Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found and fixed a problem with this tube. What was interesting was that the tube was apparently intact - you could wiggle it and see that it wasn't broken. I was looking at it again in bright sunlight, ready to do a vacuum test, when I could see a crack in the elbow near the dipstick - just barely visible. When I flexed the tube while looking at the bend, I could see that it was surely cracked. When I went to remove it, the tube just shattered - the heat had taken its toll over the past 10 years. I went to AutoZone but no metric sized vacuum hose - but 3/16" worked like a charm so I just connected the two ends any my CEL problems were over!

EDIT: well, not over but mostly gone. A week later P2404 showed up again. I changed the J757 relay which is located as the center relay in the sealed compartment on the drivers side, next to the brake fluid canister (part no 4H0-951-253, from genuineaudiparts.com) and it stayed off for another few days now its back on). :-(

Last edited by dhoerl; 05-28-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhoerl
I just found and fixed a problem with this tube. What was interesting was that the tube was apparently intact - you could wiggle it and see that it wasn't broken. I was looking at it again in bright sunlight, ready to do a vacuum test, when I could see a crack in the elbow near the dipstick - just barely visible. When I flexed the tube while looking at the bend, I could see that it was surely cracked. When I went to remove it, the tube just shattered - the heat had taken its toll over the past 10 years. I went to AutoZone but no metric sized vacuum hose - but 3/16" worked like a charm so I just connected the two ends any my CEL problems were over!

EDIT: well, not over but mostly gone. A week later P2404 showed up again. I changed the J757 relay which is located as the center relay in the sealed compartment on the drivers side, next to the brake fluid canister (part no 4H0-951-253, from genuineaudiparts.com) and it stayed off for another few days now its back on). :-(
Sorry to hear that. milan_o(Tony) and I have had the same lingering problem. I am convinced its an electrical issue. Possibly corrosion underneath the relay box leading to that J757 relay. If you have some time to get underneath the relay box, I would try to check to see if you can find fraying or corrosion. Very frustrating.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Must be that time of the year. Mine is back also. I was so sure it was finally fixed. It is so erratic, so I'm suspecting a wire break that sometimes makes contact and sometimes not. I'm not good at reading wiring diagrams but guess I'll try to hash it out.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Have you tried replacing the N80 vapor canister purge valve assembly (P/N 06E–906–517–A)? This valve is listed as a common failure for VWs/Audis. I also have had this DTC code for some time, and have checked the leak detection pump, the vacuum hose you ID'd, and replaced this valve, but the code keeps coming back. However, after I replaced the N80 valve, my gas mileage increased significantly. For ~$20, you might try replacing it and see if that fixes your problem. For me, I'm going to check the relay next. What a PITA!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

The N80 valve above the intake manifold was the very first thing I tried about 4 years ago. Gas mileage is no problem, as I get ~27 in mixed driving.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Have you tried replacing the N80 vapor canister purge valve assembly (P/N 06E–906–517–A)? This valve is listed as a common failure for VWs/Audis. I also have had this DTC code for some time, and have checked the leak detection pump, the vacuum hose you ID'd, and replaced this valve, but the code keeps coming back. However, after I replaced the N80 valve, my gas mileage increased significantly. For ~$20, you might try replacing it and see if that fixes your problem. For me, I'm going to check the relay next. What a PITA!!!
First thing I replaced too. Made no difference in gas mileage nor getting rid of the CEL!

Quick Reply: 009220 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit: Implausible Signal