A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2005 A6 3.2 FSI Timing Chain Tensioner

Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mkongsiri
Yeah Cat, I'm probably right behind you. I will say the shuttle driver who's been at the dealer for 12 years said the 10 bays dedicated for Audi aren't usually full while the 30 BMW bays usually are. He thinks Audi is more reliable, I think it's because there's 4x more BMW drivers out there...
I think here in the NorthWest it's the other way around...I see far more Audi's as of late vs. BMW or Mercs. Especially with the Q5 and Q7 vehicles, you introduce a new Audi purchaser which wouldn't be in the market for an A-model. I'd say the Q5, A4, A5, A3 are certainly the most common. But I regularly see A7s, R8s and A6/S6 models on a daily basis around here.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that have done this. I have a question. I'm having trouble with the chain jumping when I manually rotate the engine. When it did this I was advised to ensure the tensioner has full range of motion (i.e. comes out all the way). In the picture above the brand new tensioner cylinder is comprised of a small cylinder inside a slightly larger cylinder. Currently only the smaller cylinder is coming out via spring tension. Should the second Cylinder also be coming out prior to installation to ensure it has full movement. I don't know what full motion looks like. I've included in the picture the old tensioner cylinder which you can see has two cylinders fully extended. I would appreciate any advise. For further context, there is more discussion on this topic over on Edge Motors where he has a video of replacement of the tensioners on the Audi A6 3.2 Liter (year 2005)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redshed

For those of you that have done this. I have a question. I'm having trouble with the chain jumping when I manually rotate the engine. When it did this I was advised to ensure the tensioner has full range of motion (i.e. comes out all the way). In the picture above the brand new tensioner cylinder is comprised of a small cylinder inside a slightly larger cylinder. Currently only the smaller cylinder is coming out via spring tension. Should the second Cylinder also be coming out prior to installation to ensure it has full movement. I don't know what full motion looks like. I've included in the picture the old tensioner cylinder which you can see has two cylinders fully extended. I would appreciate any advise. For further context, there is more discussion on this topic over on Edge Motors where he has a video of replacement of the tensioners on the Audi A6 3.2 Liter (year 2005)
You should NOT remove the retaining pin if it is a new tensioner. There is no need to "test" a new tensioner. You can destroy the seal inside the piston if you mess with it too much. Trust me Ive done it. Put the hydraulic piston back into the tensioner and push the tensioner guide in till the piston bottoms out and you should feel resistance from the internal spring inside the tensioner. The tensioner assembly needs to be installed with the hydraulic piston pretensioned and locked in place. Look at the guide I made at the beginning of this thread, it has photos of the locking pin and why you shouldnt remove it.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

You should NOT remove the retaining pin if it is a new tensioner. There is no need to "test" a new tensioner. You can destroy the seal inside the piston if you mess with it too much. Trust me Ive done it. Put the hydraulic piston back into the tensioner and push the tensioner guide in till the piston bottoms out and you should feel resistance from the internal spring inside the tensioner. The tensioner assembly needs to be installed with the hydraulic piston pretensioned and locked in place. Look at the guide I made at the beginning of this thread, it has photos of the locking pin and why you shouldnt remove it.
To add to this, the piston cannot be pushed in until it is fully extended, and it won't properly extend until it is fully pushed in. It ratchets both ways. So let it extend fully, then push it all the way back in, then pin it
Old 12-25-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Camshaft g40 and 163

hi guys

i have a problem. I have an audi a6 3.2 quattro from 2004.
at cold starts the chain rattle's verry lightly. Mileage now is 212.000.My engine light is not on, but when i read fault codes from vcds it says:

16724- camshaft positioning sensor (g40)
P0340-00 - malfinction- intermittent
16730 - camshaft position sensor (g163)
p0346-00 implausible signal - intermittent

at around 170.000 km i did change the g301 sensors all 4 of them.

in 2014 at 130.000 the timing chain and tensioners are replaced. From 2014 till new i drove from 81.000 km 70% of it highway cruising.

wat is the problem with my engine? The rattle started at 180.000 km. The dealer says it is imploussible that the chain is gone again. The said it can be your camshaft adjusters becouse they are dirty. I use allways castrol edge titanium fst 5w30 oil full synthetic, (i live in the netherlands) it is recomended from the dealer to use this oil and audi him self. The oil is longlife oil (30.000k) but when a chek the service book they changed till 2014 every 25.000 kilometers. And since 2014 when i buyed the car every 15.000 max 20.000 kilometers. Just because to lower any risk for getting more badly damage to the tensioners. I use allso bardahl oil and turbo booster each 2 oil changes. It helps to run the engine smoother en quiter.

i hope you guys can help me, becouse the dealer says it is not possible for this short time and mileage, but only solution is to change everything again the said. It wil kost me around 6500 euro. And hell no i am not going to do that.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should NOT remove the retaining pin if it is a new tensioner. There is no need to "test" a new tensioner. You can destroy the seal inside the piston if you mess with it too much. Trust me Ive done it. Put the hydraulic piston back into the tensioner and push the tensioner guide in till the piston bottoms out and you should feel resistance from the internal spring inside the tensioner. The tensioner assembly needs to be installed with the hydraulic piston pretensioned and locked in place. Look at the guide I made at the beginning of this thread, it has photos of the locking pin and why you shouldn't remove it.
ner.

In theory, you are correct. However, by not testing the tensioner before installing it, you don't know if you have a defective tensioner. For example, let say you install it, then pull the pin and the the piston doesn't extend out? Now, you are removing it. Don't ask how I know this.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello everyone. I am thinking about purchasing a 2006 a4 3.2 fsi and will need to replace this timing chain tensioners. service records indicate it went to audi for all its services but the carfax doesn't specify exactly what was done. There is a very slight ticking noise on the engine while running which makes me think i need to change them regardless. The engine still feels strong and no loss of power when driving.

my real question is...

Has anyone while changing and replacing timing chain/tensioners/vvt solenoid and gaskets come across any actual problems with the cam/valves/pistons. The sound from the engine does not seem to be deathly ill or even close to the sound in the video posted above.

156,000 miles on the car currently with services every 10k or sooner.

thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Before you purchase, I suggest in discuss with the Audi dealership that performed the maintenance and obtain the service record information. You can tell the service department that you are considering purchasing this A4, but you want to know how the car has been maintained by them. You should get them the VIN so they can look it up in their records. Any good dealer would do this for a prospective new Audi owner.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 321 Likes on 270 Posts

Thank you All for sharing your experience. This thread was very useful. I went a little further to be able to replace the spark plugs tubes gasket and reseal the cam girdles. I have posted a lot of pictures and some videos showing how I did mine here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...3-2-a-2987300/
The following users liked this post:
das60 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by kelisko
Thank you All for sharing your experience. This thread was very useful. I went a little further to be able to replace the spark plugs tubes gasket and reseal the cam girdles. I have posted a lot of pictures and some videos showing how I did mine here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...3-2-a-2987300/
I just looked at your write up Kelikso. Wow. You are a beast!! Thanks man. That is a lot of effort to do that.
The following users liked this post:
kelisko (03-06-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 A6 3.2 FSI Timing Chain Tensioner